M.2 key E Wireless card for AMD processor?

Octoid

I was looking through the wireless cards for my motherboard and saw the one I was going to get said "Intel only" as i looked further, i couldn't find any that said they worked with AMD. what am I missing? surely if they made an AMD board with an M.2 for WiFi there should be a solution.

This should work just fine. 

https://www.newegg.com/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200/p/N82E16833106102

All the modern WiFi 6 compatible solutions today use the Intel AX200 chip for Wifi and Bluetooth and since you have a Key E slot, might as well just get it straight from Intel.

This is completely independent of your AMD or Intel processor. 

As far as I know, any Intel wireless module will work with anything that has PCIe (plus USB for Bluetooth) and drivers for it. For example, I can buy an Intel AX200 right now and stick it in my Ryzen computer and I'll have Wi-Fi 6, just like that. Disclaimer: I don't have an AX200 but an 8260, which is Intel's last generation 802.11ac wireless module.

15 minutes ago, Octoid said:

I was looking through the wireless cards for my motherboard and saw the one I was going to get said "Intel only" as i looked further, i couldn't find any that said they worked with AMD. what am I missing? surely if they made an AMD board with an M.2 for WiFi there should be a solution.

There's two models of the Intel WiFi parts, one is PCIe, the other is CNVio. CNVio parts require an Intel chipset because the MAC is actually in the chipset. Any PCIe model that is not CNVio will work.

28 minutes ago, Kisai said:

There's two models of the Intel WiFi parts, one is PCIe, the other is CNVio. CNVio parts require an Intel chipset because the MAC is actually in the chipset. Any PCIe model that is not CNVio will work.

ah, this makes sense why some would say 'intel only' and others wouldn't say anything at all about hardware compatibility, thank you

44 minutes ago, rickeo said:

All the modern WiFi 6 compatible solutions today use the Intel AX200 chip for Wifi and Bluetooth and since you have a Key E slot, might as well just get it straight from Intel.

second question, can i exchange the external antennas for internal ones?

2 minutes ago, Octoid said:

Uh, I mean I suppose you could put those included antennas in your case but... Its a metal box, you'll be significantly cutting down on range and performance. 

Desktop computers aren't designed for internal antennas unless its an OEM that builds it with the antennas built into the plastic outer shell. 

Just for some context if you're new to PC's, that's just not something anyone does or even asks about doing. First for me in 15 years in this stuff.

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

IMO the AX210 is a better choice as its WiFi 6e and in my experience performs better than the AX200.

32 minutes ago, Octoid said:

I'd go one further than the previous response and just say a plain no.

Antennas on the back are awful to begin with, unless your router is directly behind your PC.  Its always better to use desk standing or magnetic antennas you can locate independently of the PC itself, so your reception is not limited by your PC placement.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7