Router dilemma

LivelyCornet640

What speeds are you getting from your ISP? Because I know from personal experience that the Eero 6 non-Pro caps out far below Gigabit speeds.

1 minute ago, GalacticRuler said:

What speeds are you getting from your ISP? Because I know from personal experience that the Eero 6 non-Pro caps out far below Gigabit speeds.

I just updated my post

2 minutes ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

I just updated my post

If that's the case, I would pick the Eero 6, because of Wifi 6 support. It doesn't have to be that exact router, but preferably look for something with Wifi 6 support, and maybe tri-band if possible.

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

If that's the case, I would pick the Eero 6, because of Wifi 6 support. It doesn't have to be that exact router, but preferably look for something with Wifi 6 support, and maybe tri-band if possible.

whats so special about wifi six is there a big difference

2 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

i also was getting the one with only a router and a point for the eero, and my house is 2600 square feet with a basement and second floor, and also my modems in the first floor. Idk if that changes anything

1 minute ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

whats so special about wifi six is there a big difference

It's actually one of the biggest changes in Wifi iterations, since the introduction of the 5Ghz band. If you have smart home devices or just many devices in general, it allocates the different devices for maximum speeds and latency.

Just now, LivelyCornet640 said:

i also was getting the one with only a router and a point for the eero, and my house is 2600 square feet with a basement and second floor, and also my modems in the first floor. Idk if that changes anything

Actually, that does make a difference. If you have 3 floors, you likely want a 3-part set. Wifi is notorious for having poor signal in between floors, and especially something like a basement. A 2-part set would likely leave dead zones.

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

Actually, that does make a difference. If you have 3 floors, you likely want a 3-part set. Wifi is notorious for having poor signal in between floors, and especially something like a basement. A 2-part set would likely leave dead zones.

yeah, but that one is out of my budget, is the eero still worth it?

3 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

It's actually one of the biggest changes in Wifi iterations, since the introduction of the 5Ghz band. If you have smart home devices or just many devices in general, it allocates the different devices for maximum speeds and latency.

ok

1 minute ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

yeah, but that one is out of my budget, is the eero still worth it?

ok

Is this one in your budget? It's Wifi 6, but not tri-band, though in your situation having a 3-part set is more important than tri-band.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-X20-Next-Gen-Extenders/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVYMH2BHLKEY&dchild=1&keywords=wifi%2B6%2Bmesh&qid=1626319403&sprefix=wifi%2B6%2Bmesh%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-3&th=1

Is this one in your budget? It's Wifi 6, but not tri-band, though in your situation having a 3-part set is more important than tri-band.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-X20-Next-Gen-Extenders/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVYMH2BHLKEY&dchild=1&keywords=wifi%2B6%2Bmesh&qid=1626319403&sprefix=wifi%2B6%2Bmesh%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-3&th=1

no im looking for under 200

4 minutes ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

no im looking for under 200

Hmm, if that's that case, I might actually recommend you go with the 2-piece Eero 6, and if you do end up with dead zones, upgrade with another extender in the future if possible. Personally, I would rather have a strong base with expansion capability than a weaker base that would need replacement sooner.

The other option is to forget about Wifi 6, and instead go with a 3-piece tri-band setup. It's overall going to be weaker than a Wifi 6 setup, but the tri-band should compensate somewhat.

Hmm, if that's that case, I might actually recommend you go with the 2-piece Eero 6, and if you do end up with dead zones, upgrade with another extender in the future if possible. Personally, I would rather have a strong base with expansion capability than a weaker base that would need replacement sooner.

The other option is to forget about Wifi 6, and instead go with a 3-piece tri-band setup. It's overall going to be weaker than a Wifi 6 setup, but the tri-band should compensate somewhat.

should i get both and test them

Just now, LivelyCornet640 said:

should i get both and test them

In the end it's your choice, but in my personal opinion I would go with the first option. It sets you up with a strong base that will be enough for the foreseeable future, and the potential to expand if you come to have issues. The second option will honestly be better right off the bat, but would likely need to be replaced sooner.

In the end it's your choice, but in my personal opinion I would go with the first option. It sets you up with a strong base that will be enough for the foreseeable future, and the potential to expand if you come to have issues. The second option will honestly be better right off the bat, but would likely need to be replaced sooner.

ok thanks