Does my motherboard throttle my speed?

OMG.ACE

image.png.56c81a449fda583e24f3d9c2a1e6f979.png

This is BS it should be 1000 Mbps not 100...... 

so, i have been running WIFI for a LONG time and finally got around to running CAT 6e to my PC. I used a raw 250' coil through my attic and made my own connections in the wall and to my PC/router. No problems day 1... was getting 852.95 down and 946.34 up on day one. Compared to 274.65 down and 119.61 up over my WIFI connection.  Tested with OOKLA. 

Now (1 week after install) my internet wont even break 100 down and like 90 up...… Its very frustrating. Could it possibly be because of faulty connections from my wiring job???? 

what do I need to look for???? 

your link speed is 100mbps.  either your ethernet card is set to be 100mbps, or you're plugged into a 100mbps device.

Is your motherboard's ethernet port a Gigabit port, and if so, do you have the drivers installed for it? The fact that it's hitting exactly 100Mbps leads me to believe it's an issue with the ethernet port, not the cable itself.

If it turns out your port isn't Gigabit or is damaged, you can always purchase a Gigabit PCIe card.

4 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Is your motherboard's ethernet port a Gigabit port, and if so, do you have the drivers installed for it? The fact that it's hitting exactly 100Mbps leads me to believe it's an issue with the ethernet port, not the cable itself.

If it turns out your port isn't Gigabit or is damaged, you can always purchase a Gigabit PCIe card.

If it wasn't a gigabit port then they never would have gotten the proper speeds originally. 

OP: Is your cable damaged? Are all of your connections secure?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just now, BondiBlue said:

If it wasn't a gigabit port then they never would have gotten the proper speeds originally. 

OP: Is your cable damaged? Are all of your connections secure?

You're right, I missed the part about his initial speeds.

OP: Try taking both ends of your CAT cable and give it a gentle but firm yank at the connector. Make sure that all 8 wires are intact, as it's possible you messed up one of the internal wires when trimming the jacket. I highly doubt that the wire inside the walls are damaged, so you probably don't need to replace the cable, and maybe just the ends.

10 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

it is. I may just do that anyways. but its odd how I got those speeds then didn't

1 minute ago, GalacticRuler said:

You're right, I missed the part about his initial speeds.

OP: Try taking both ends of your CAT cable and give it a gentle but firm yank at the connector. Make sure that all 8 wires are intact, as it's possible you messed up one of the internal wires when trimming the jacket. I highly doubt that the wire inside the walls are damaged, so you probably don't need to replace the cable, and maybe just the ends.

I may try redoing the ends just incase. if I pull the cables out of these image.png.0e90b8c2d6c4df8fd3355c3a61fdf426.pngtype of connections will it mess up the connector. 

3 minutes ago, OMG.ACE said:

I may try redoing the ends just incase. if I pull the cables out of these image.png.0e90b8c2d6c4df8fd3355c3a61fdf426.pngtype of connections will it mess up the connector. 

Oh no, I'm not telling you to pull the wires out. Just give it a little tug between the jack/keystone and the main cable itself, like you would when pulling out a USB cord from a wall adapter.

But yeah, your best bet would probably be to redo the ends.

25 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Oh no, I'm not telling you to pull the wires out. Just give it a little tug between the jack/keystone and the main cable itself, like you would when pulling out a USB cord from a wall adapter.

But yeah, your best bet would probably be to redo the ends.

unplugged clened (pressurized air) and snipped and redid the wire connections on both ends. No resolution. 

image.png.d0f8a55453d7550a9e16d6775a483e0a.png

6 hours ago, OMG.ACE said:

unplugged clened (pressurized air) and snipped and redid the wire connections on both ends. No resolution.

Unfortunately this can be an utter nightmare, those crimp down jacks are a PITA.  I had one where no matter how many times I tried to re-crimp it, would always be stuck at 100Mbit.  Put RJ45 plugs on both ends of the same cable, worked fine.

Its why a lot of people choose the keystone jacks you just plug a standard RJ45 connector into the back of (I have no idea where to get these in the UK though so gave up).

Crimping the plugs is just so much more reliable than crimping the socket connectors.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7