About G-sync

wew

Hi guys :D, I am trying to connect an external 144hz monitor to my laptop ( GTX 1050) over HMDI. I was wondering can I enable g sync for this method and is it important to enable g sync? I did some googling, and some said you cant enable g sync by using HDMI or the GTX 1050 cant do that. 

Thanks guys, really wanna know. 😄

easy way to check. open the nvidia control panel and option to enable it, then do it, otherwise you cant...

since you only have a 1050, not all games will run >144hz so gsync/freesync is kinda important but i guess if you cannot enable it, then theres nothing you can do other than getting a new laptop which is a very expensive method. 

just lower the game settings (resolution, quality etc) as far as you're willing to go and try to maintain >100fps otherwise the stuttering may be annoying. 

6 minutes ago, wew said:

Hi guys :D, I am trying to connect an external 144hz monitor to my laptop ( GTX 1050) over HMDI. I was wondering can I enable g sync for this method and is it important to enable g sync? I did some googling, and some said you cant enable g sync by using HDMI or the GTX 1050 cant do that. 

Thanks guys, really wanna know. 😄

HEAVILY depends on individual monitor. G-Sync runs in both their proprietary scaler that manufacturer needs to integrate individually, and displayport's variable sync. Nvidia listed their their compatibility list here.

If your monitor is compatible, it should be in the gsync tab of nvidia control panel. Enable it from there.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, TheBean said:

easy way to check. open the nvidia control panel and option to enable it, then do it, otherwise you cant...

since you only have a 1050, not all games will run >144hz so gsync/freesync is kinda important but i guess if you cannot enable it, then theres nothing you can do other than getting a new laptop which is a very expensive method. 

just lower the game settings (resolution, quality etc) as far as you're willing to go and try to maintain >100fps otherwise the stuttering may be annoying. 

I recently tried connecting a external 144hz monitor to my laptop, and I did go into nvidia control panel but I couldn't find "enable g sync". I guess I don't have it then. 😞 BTW can I still use a 144hz monitor in this situation even without enabling g sync? I dont play any big title games, I only play fps like cs and valorant in low settings.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

HEAVILY depends on individual monitor. G-Sync runs in both their proprietary scaler that manufacturer needs to integrate individually, and displayport's variable sync. Nvidia listed their their compatibility list here.

I see, thanks a lot 😄

5 minutes ago, wew said:

BTW can I still use a 144hz monitor in this situation even without enabling g sync? I dont play any big title games, I only play fps like cs and valorant in low settings.

yes. g-sync is just a additional optional feature, not a requirement. if you're only playing csgo/valorant kind of games, then fps is already high so you dont even need to bother with gsync. this feature is intended for situations where your fps is lower than your monitor refresh rate (eg fps=100, monitor refresh rate = 144). if you are running at 200fps and the monitor is 144, then gsync does nothing as far as i know

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

yes. g-sync is just a additional optional feature, not a requirement. if you're only playing csgo/valorant kind of games, then fps is already high so you dont even need to bother with gsync. this feature is intended for situations where your fps is lower than your monitor refresh rate (eg fps=100, monitor refresh rate = 144). if you are running at 200fps and the monitor is 144, then gsync does nothing as far as i know

I see, thanks a lot dude. 😄 appreciate it