Interested In Starting Sim Racing, Would Really Like Some Help If You Could?

Unkindness

Hi everybody,

as the title states, I have a few questions before I started:

1.) Can I mix and match parts? For instance, if I get a great deal on Fanatec pedals, can the be used with a Thrustmaster base?

2.) I want to get into the likes of F1 and Rally but I know I will do quite a lot of hours on ETS2 and probably any other type of driving game in between, is it worth me waiting to see what Fanatec's new low end DD unit is like and have one type of wheel or, considering my wide range of taste, is it better to go for a slightly cheaper unit like a Thrustmaster and have an open wheel and a fully round wheel to cover all bases? At the minute, I play all with a X-Box controller.

3.) Any advice to get started?

3.) Are you having a nice day?

Cheers!

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

1 hour ago, Unkindness said:

Can I mix and match parts? For instance, if I get a great deal on Fanatec pedals, can the be used with a Thrustmaster base?

It depends on which parts you buy. As far as I know, the normal CSL pedals have a proprietary connector (or something of the likes) so they have to be used with Fanatec wheel bases. However, the Loadcell CSL pedals have a regular USB connection so they should be compatible. It's best just to do a quick search for compatibility before pulling the trigger.

1 hour ago, Unkindness said:

I want to get into the likes of F1 and Rally but I know I will do quite a lot of hours on ETS2 and probably any other type of driving game in between, is it worth me waiting to see what Fanatec's new low end DD unit is like and have one type of wheel or, considering my wide range of taste, is it better to go for a slightly cheaper unit like a Thrustmaster and have an open wheel and a fully round wheel to cover all bases? At the minute, I play all with a X-Box controller.

I would get the CSL DD unit. From the reviews I've seen, it seems like much better value for money over the Logitech/Thrustmaster counterparts.
If you can only afford to buy a single wheel and play more than just Formula/GT/Prototype cars, definitely opt for a round wheel. Then get a Formula/GT type wheel later.

I'd also recommend getting a rig; SIM-LAB are a good option if you're not keen on design and building your own.

3 hours ago, Ominous said:

It depends on which parts you buy. As far as I know, the normal CSL pedals have a proprietary connector (or something of the likes) so they have to be used with Fanatec wheel bases. However, the Loadcell CSL pedals have a regular USB connection so they should be compatible. It's best just to do a quick search for compatibility before pulling the trigger.

I would get the CSL DD unit. From the reviews I've seen, it seems like much better value for money over the Logitech/Thrustmaster counterparts.
If you can only afford to buy a single wheel and play more than just Formula/GT/Prototype cars, definitely opt for a round wheel. Then get a Formula/GT type wheel later.

I'd also recommend getting a rig; SIM-LAB are a good option if you're not keen on design and building your own.

Thank you very much! I have been looking at a rig set ups but I already got a chair I love and a house with not much room left in it so I think I would be only able to use a wheel stand than a full cockpit. Are they any good?

8 hours ago, Unkindness said:

Thank you very much! I have been looking at a rig set ups but I already got a chair I love and a house with not much room left in it so I think I would be only able to use a wheel stand than a full cockpit. Are they any good?

I've never tried one myself but I believe that would be a much better idea than mounting a direct drive wheel straight to your desk.

8 hours ago, Ominous said:

I've never tried one myself but I believe that would be a much better idea than mounting a direct drive wheel straight to your desk.

Ah I get you! Thanks for the advice, buddy!