What RAM should I get?

I have a Ryzen 5 3400g on an Asrock x470 Master SLI/AC with 16GB of RAM (corsiar LPX 3200MHz).

I want to upgrade to 32GB bc I cant afford a (GPU) at current prices, and am starting to edit wedding videos professionally. 

I have no idea how to find what die chip set (sorry, im not sure of the term) MY RAM is, much less what the new set will be. I want this, but I don't know if it is compatible with my CPU... https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236037?Item=N82E16820236037

Is 3600MHz too much for my CPU? I have seen that my CPU only officially goes up to 29xx, so does that mean 3600 is out of the question, or could I use it, just at 29xx and then get the full speed out of the next build I use it for? (I think I have mine running at 3200MHz now, but Im not sure. would CPUID HWmonitor tell me? I don't see anything that says RAM, but I probably just don't know the techy term they use)

Thanks, I know this is a NOOB question, but I am, so...

By the way, I DO game, but this is mostly for work. That said, I wonder if this is getting into the realm of very diminished returns on investment...

Would a AMD WX2100 be a better investment?

24 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

I have a Ryzen 5 3400g on an Asrock x470 Master SLI/AC with 16GB of RAM (corsiar LPX 3200MHz).

I want to upgrade to 32GB bc I cant afford a (GPU) at current prices, and am starting to edit wedding videos professionally. 

I have no idea how to find what die chip set (sorry, im not sure of the term) MY RAM is, much less what the new set will be. I want this, but I don't know if it is compatible with my CPU... https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236037?Item=N82E16820236037

Is 3600MHz too much for my CPU? I have seen that my CPU only officially goes up to 29xx, so does that mean 3600 is out of the question, or could I use it, just at 29xx and then get the full speed out of the next build I use it for? (I think I have mine running at 3200MHz now, but Im not sure. would CPUID HWmonitor tell me? I don't see anything that says RAM, but I probably just don't know the techy term they use)

Thanks, I know this is a NOOB question, but I am, so...

3600 is not too much for your CPU, but the memory compatibility depends more on the motherboard.

You can check on this page the memory compatibilities that Asrock has tested for your board:https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Master SLIac/#MemoryRR

They seem to have only tested RAM up to 3000Mhz for Corsair, and your particular model from Newegg is not listed. So your mileage may vary.

Long story short:

- Most DDR4 RAM will work fine on your setup.

- 3600 Mhz RAM will always work on your CPU / motherboard, it might just run slower than 3600 Mhz, depends on your motherboard. It will always work at some speed or another.

- Only way to find out is to try, and set the XMP profile in the motherboard (= profile for the RAM that tells the motherboard it should run at 3600 Mhz)

- It is best to match identically (full model number) the RAM you currently have, or you might run into problems. Unless you are not planning on using the stick you currently have, in which case it doesnt matter.

- Go into your BIOS to see the current RAM speed, or use Ryzen Master (AMD software tool): this will tell you the current RAM speed.

Good luck!

25 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

By the way, I DO game, but this is mostly for work. That said, I wonder if this is getting into the realm of very diminished returns on investment...

Would a AMD WX2100 be a better investment?

In terms of upgrade for GPU performance, you wont see much difference between your 3200 and 3600 Mhz. 16GB vs 32Gb will depend on how big the files are.

Getting a dedicated GPU will almost certainly be a better investment, if the software you are using is GPU accelerated. (some software uses only CPU)

BUT: The WX2100 is almost the same performance than the RX Vega 11 built into your CPU. So that won't do you any good. You'd have to get something faster to see an upgrade.

32 minutes ago, maartendc said:

3600 is not too much for your CPU, but the memory compatibility depends more on the motherboard.

You can check on this page the memory compatibilities that Asrock has tested for your board:https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Master SLIac/#MemoryRR

They seem to have only tested RAM up to 3000Mhz for Corsair, and your particular model from Newegg is not listed. So your mileage may vary.

Long story short:

- Most DDR4 RAM will work fine on your setup.

- 3600 Mhz RAM will always work on your CPU / motherboard, it might just run slower than 3600 Mhz, depends on your motherboard. It will always work at some speed or another.

- Only way to find out is to try, and set the XMP profile in the motherboard (= profile for the RAM that tells the motherboard it should run at 3600 Mhz)

- It is best to match identically (full model number) the RAM you currently have, or you might run into problems. Unless you are not planning on using the stick you currently have, in which case it doesnt matter.

- Go into your BIOS to see the current RAM speed, or use Ryzen Master (AMD software tool): this will tell you the current RAM speed.

Good luck!

29 minutes ago, maartendc said:

In terms of upgrade for GPU performance, you wont see much difference between your 3200 and 3600 Mhz. 16GB vs 32Gb will depend on how big the files are.

Getting a dedicated GPU will almost certainly be a better investment, if the software you are using is GPU accelerated. (some software uses only CPU)

BUT: The WX2100 is almost the same performance than the RX Vega 11 built into your CPU. So that won't do you any good. You'd have to get something faster to see an upgrade.

That makes sense. I use DAvinci Resolve 17 free which I hear uses MOSTLY CPU, but that means it uses SOME GPU, so the extra RAM should help that process right? (if not, would it help transfer speeds? I am also upgrading my project storage to NVMe, so would the RAM even affect that?)

I'm not gonna use the old RAM since it is only a 4 slot MoBo, otherwise I would love 48GB of RAM LOL. 

Since it will probably work at SOME speed, I think I'll get the 3600 since it is only $38 more... or is there some chance it won't work at all?

I want to get a 4x8GB set. Will that affect anything? or just make it run better (I saw the video LTT did on it and 4 sticks seemed to work better in most things than dual channel only) (sorry, I meant to edit my last post not make a new one)

Edited by Sanderguy777
made a mistake and posted a new post instead of editing the last one

14 hours ago, Sanderguy777 said:

That makes sense. I use DAvinci Resolve 17 free which I hear uses MOSTLY CPU, but that means it uses SOME GPU, so the extra RAM should help that process right? (if not, would it help transfer speeds? I am also upgrading my project storage to NVMe, so would the RAM even affect that?)

I'm not gonna use the old RAM since it is only a 4 slot MoBo, otherwise I would love 48GB of RAM LOL. 

Since it will probably work at SOME speed, I think I'll get the 3600 since it is only $38 more... or is there some chance it won't work at all?

A quick Google search seems to indicate Davinci resolve does use GPU acceleration for various tasks.

You might as wel get the 3600 Mhz and see if it works at 3600. It will work at some speed regardless. But I think that if you cannot get the 3600 Mhz XMP profile to work, you would have to set the memory speed manually in the BIOS.

Also: I just checked the ASrock website again, and for your CPU (3400G is Picasso codename) the max supported speed is 2933. You might get lucky and it might run at 3600, but it is unlikely.

4 vs 2 sticks wont matter I believe, your motherboard is dual channel memory only, not quad channel.

RAM wont help transfer speeds at all.

Again, 3200 Mhz vs 3600 Mhz, you wont see ANY noticeable difference. So unless you are running out of RAM at 16GB and really need 32 GB, better save your money. Save up for a better GPU for example.