Windows 7 Infinite Boot cycle (I just cloned my hard drive to my SSD and it won't boot)

AustinTheIntern

Hi everyone,

I just cloned an HP desktop with a 1TB hard drive to a 120GB Samsung Evo. It seems to only get to the windows 7 logo and after 2 seconds it disappears and starts rebooting and rebooting....

Things I've tried

-Using Samsung Migration Software

-Using EaseUS Migration Software

-Checking BIOS to make sure SSD is:

1) in AHCI mode

2) first priority for booting

-Tried changing original hard drive to AHCI but caused it to go crazy and needed to do a system restore

What should I do?

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

hellloooo

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

starting off your drive may have been in ATA or IDE mode. So if you cloned the drive and tried to switch to AHCI mode the drive will not respond. to fix your boot issue you will just need the original drive and go back into ATA/IDE mode.

My best suggestion would get your pc back to running condition, locate everything you want backed up and save it to a partition on the 1TB drive. Install windows fresh onto the ssd while under AHCI mode then just move the backed up files to your ssd

if you feel up to it you may also try this:

http://www.oczforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

you could try downloading the latest version of the migration software, if worst comes to worst you could always try different software: 

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

http://clonezilla.org/

http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

any of these should work, you will have to do a full wipe on the ssd and start over as far as a data back up. 

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

I would also install a new Windows on the SSD, because Windows installs with different Settings on Solid State Drives.

And all this settings wouldn't be changed, if you use a Windows, that was installed on an HardDrive

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Hi everyone,

I just cloned an HP desktop with a 1TB hard drive to a 120GB Samsung Evo. It seems to only get to the windows 7 logo and after 2 seconds it disappears and starts rebooting and rebooting....

Things I've tried

1) in AHCI mode

-Tried changing original hard drive to AHCI but caused it to go crazy and needed to do a system restore

What should I do?

Hi,

First you should switch to IDE mode and figure out if the mode is the reason why your windows didn't launch, if you switch and it launches then, that is the reason. If it does try rebooting into AHCI and press F8 before Win logo to go to a menu and launch into Safe Mode, sometimes that is all you need for Windows to change it configuration to AHCI but it might not work and go on reboot cycle again.

If Safe Mode doesn't work you will have to change back to IDE mode and launch Windows, and make some changes to the Registry. I am chacking now to find the link with the explanation how to config the REGEdit, and will post it later.

Hi everyone,

Things I've tried

1) in AHCI mode

What should I do?

Hi,

First you should switch to IDE mode and figure out if the mode is the reason why your windows didn't launch, if you switch and it launches then, that is the reason. If it does try rebooting into AHCI and press F8 before Win logo to go to a menu and launch into Safe Mode, sometimes that is all you need for Windows to change it configuration to AHCI but it might not work and go on reboot cycle again.

If Safe Mode doesn't work you will have to change back to IDE mode and launch Windows, and make some changes to the Registry. I am chacking now to find the link with the explanation how to config the REGEdit, and will post it later.

I am sorry I missed the OCZ forum link from

Nattan

so go there and follow the explaination.

But if you cannot start the PC under IDE mode then the problem is probably deeper and you should reinstall because it will be very difficult to figure it out like this.

Hope we were helpful and apologies to Nattan for missing the link :)