Cannot initialize hard drive

DragonTamer1

I just got two new drives for my server, tried adding them to the storage spaces pool and the one drive added successfully. The second drive had something go wrong. It now shows up in disk management only after a restart, disconnecting and reconnecting will cause it to not show up until restart. It lists itself as Unknown, cannot initialize. Trying to manually initialize results in the error "Virtual disk manager: A device which does not exist was specified." The drive worked normally before trying to add it to the pool. Is there any way to get the drive back so I can actually use it?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

19 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Trying to manually initialize results in the error "Virtual disk manager: A device which does not exist was specified."

I'm uncertain how to help you in this exact scenario but a good troubleshooting step here would be to put that drive into another computer and see if it functions as normal. If not I'd assume you have a bad drive, if it does function normally however try a different physical connection on the server, EG a different PATA/SATA/SAS port on the board or a different bay if you server has those hot swap rack things on the front I don't know the name of.

Yeah I usually start with the easiest stuff to try. You know the 1 harddrive works so I would swap the 2 and see if its just a cable issue.