RTX 3080 TI low GPU Usage and low FPS

Here is a recreation of what my screen kind of looked like. 

blackscreen.jpg

Another thing I have noticed is: 
CSGO is behaving very weird now I can get as much as 400fps in some instances but as soon as I see just 1 enemy fps can drop as low as 160 (with high or low settings, fps can get even worse on high)

When I'm playing Warzone my fps are from 100 to 130 right now but when I die, and I start to spectate someone I doesn't matter what they do or where they are my fps can stay as high as 160-170??? It's like this in most games, if I Iook into the sky or somewhere where nothing much is going on the GPU usage can go up to a very high, but as soon as there is a bit more action etc. the usage can drop by a huge amount.

It's like when the GPU doesn't have to do much it actually is using its power but as soon as I need the power its not delivering it anymore. It isn't like this in all the videos I watched of people playing the same games with nearly the same setup.

1 hour ago, Agero said:

Another thing I have noticed is: 
CSGO is behaving very weird now I can get as much as 400fps in some instances but as soon as I see just 1 enemy fps can drop as low as 160 (with high or low settings, fps can get even worse on high)

When I'm playing Warzone my fps are from 100 to 130 right now but when I die, and I start to spectate someone I doesn't matter what they do or where they are my fps can stay as high as 160-170???

Does your CPU power draw and GPU power draw change in those scenarios?

1 hour ago, Agero said:

It's like this in most games, if I Iook into the sky or somewhere where nothing much is going on the GPU usage can go up to a very high, but as soon as there is a bit more action etc. the usage can drop by a huge amount.

Only in 1080p?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

14 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Only in 1080p?

This is only happening in 1080p.

14 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Does your CPU power draw and GPU power draw change in those scenarios?

I will check once I get home.

8 hours ago, Agero said:

So I guess I'm going to pick up a 1000Watt PSU for now. Was able to get my hands on a Motherboard and new RAM to see if that could be the cause of the problem. The new motherboard also has pcie-4, read that the difference between 3 and 4 isn't so huge now, and it shouldn't impact performance, but I'm happy to try out anything. If the problem still consists after this, the only positive thing I get out of it is that I saved some money I guess...    Probably also going to pick up a 1000Watt PSU later this week.

Right now, I'm only using SSDs on my system. So I guess there should be no problems there.

Don't know if internet speed is the problem, I have a 300Mbits Internet connection and never had any problems with it so far.
I also tested Singleplayer games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 5, Death Stranding. But fps differences were more or less quite huge in 1080p.
Take Horizon for instance, 1080p Fps where from 70 to 110, In 4K 75-80, in a Video with a comparable setup the fps were from 1080p - 90 - 140fps, 4k - 75-85 fps.
I always make sure to test in the same areas as in the videos.

I also tried out to Overclock my GPU but could only tell difference in performance in 4k Horizon got and additional 5fps. In 1080p, I couldn't really tell a difference.
But the system seemed to be stable so far.

As Antivirus I also only run Windows Defender 

I'll see how it goes with the new RAM and Motherboard. In nothing changes, ill send them back.

The only weird thing that happened yesterday was that I was changing from my 4K TV back to my 1080p Monitor in Horizon to compare fps and GPU usage. I used the in game select monitor option turned off my TV, turned on my Monitor, and it only showed a Black screen with different small different colored *blocks? / pixels?*. I had to restart my pc because nothing was responding. Was that just an unlucky occurrence because I switched Screens to fast and turned off my TV off mid-change or is this a potential sign of something not working properly?

The ram slots on the motherboard are important since you may want to add more ram later.

When I build a computer I test the motherboard on a bench first. If the build gets 2 sticks I check them in A2/B2 and A1/B1 for XMP.  I do this because in the past about half my boards only had 2 slots that worked when it was time to upgrade. Now all the slots work.

I maintain 7 computers that use DDR4 ram and not one stick has been bad. I use Corsair and G Skill.

I only GPU overclock hard to run games like SP2077 and Assassins creed games. Anything RT as well.

I don't have Death Stranding installed on the 3080 ti computer but I do have Horizon Zero Dawn and Cry 5. 

I use only in game benches so I can repeat them at a later date. 

The 1080p scores may be higher than yours since the 5800x is really good at it but the 4k scores should be about the same.  

HZD1080pUltra3080ti.thumb.png.d8782bc3fc37ec800f870f82ad254b8b.png

HZD4kUltra3080ti.thumb.png.a78d85eb71c5ded3c4edd1a76533c863.pngFarCry51080p3080ti.thumb.png.e9711e0cdcb2736b47c000ec609a1938.pngFarCry54k3080ti.thumb.png.5678c8216558ba9fb34be7f551eb452a.png

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 hours ago, jones177 said:

The ram slots on the motherboard are important since you may want to add more ram later.

When I build a computer I test the motherboard on a bench first. If the build gets 2 sticks I check them in A2/B2 and A1/B1 for XMP.  I do this because in the past about half my boards only had 2 slots that worked when it was time to upgrade. Now all the slots work.

I maintain 7 computers that use DDR4 ram and not one stick has been bad. I use Corsair and G Skill.

I only GPU overclock hard to run games like SP2077 and Assassins creed games. Anything RT as well.

I don't have Death Stranding installed on the 3080 ti computer but I do have Horizon Zero Dawn and Cry 5. 

I use only in game benches so I can repeat them at a later date. 

The 1080p scores may be higher than yours since the 5800x is really good at it but the 4k scores should be about the same.

Well new Motherboard and RAM were delivered today, installed them and there is no change at all... so I did a fresh installation of everything for the 10th time now. And after installing drivers (Motherboard, GPU, Bios), updating Windows. My GPU Usage and frames are even worse now in some games. Battlefield 5 went form 70% to 55-60. I'm starting to lose hope...

I also ran the Horizon Benchmark before and after switching Motherboard and Ram, and there was no real difference. Benchmarks seem to run fine, but the game runs totally different for me while actually playing I wish I would be getting these frames in 1080p...  Screenshots are with the new parts:

20210708023935_1.jpg

20210708040807_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Agero said:

Well new Motherboard and RAM were delivered today, installed them and there is no change at all... so I did a fresh installation of everything for the 10th time now. And after installing drivers (Motherboard, GPU, Bios), updating Windows. My GPU Usage and frames are even worse now in some games. Battlefield 5 went form 70% to 55-60. I'm starting to lose hope...

I also ran the Horizon Benchmark before and after switching Motherboard and Ram, and there was no real difference. Benchmarks seem to run fine, but the game runs totally different for me while actually playing I wish I would be getting these frames in 1080p...  Screenshots are with the new parts:

Your averages are great.  So it is not the CPU, GPU, motherboard or ram.

We know it is not the computer now.

It has something to do with your online connection.

Have you done a ping test?

I average 42ms.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I don't think that my internet is the problem, because I also have singleplayer games that don't run well.

My Speed test:

aded64db0c2ee31d4adff79e5ff6ea32.png

So what should I try out now? Really don't know what I should do 😕 

Sadly, can get my hands on a new power supply this month. But don't know if that even is the problem, since there are no problems in benchmarks and games run well under full gpu load and cpu usage of about 50 - 80% in 4K (even with Overclocked CPU and GPU).

And I also had the Blackscreen problem again after useing the switch monitor option in Horizon Zero Dawn and turning of my 4k TV a few seconds after, took a picture with my phone this time.IMG_6279.thumb.jpg.e17cd82b1882c1584869d4adb3a09956.jpg 

Very strange. It seems like there aren't any problems if you look at your benchmark results. That you get different numbers when playing and that strange blackscreen could indicate that there is indeed something not right with the GPU. I think it is best to RMA it and see if the new one fixes your problems.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Today I have the chance to test my GPU on another system, ill see how it goes.

The Display error only happens for me when I switch from a G-sync display to another one that has G-sync disabled. Displays with G-Sync to G-Sync work fine and Display with G-Sync off to G-Sync off also had no problems, so I guess it's a G-Sync problem.

I also swapped my PSU to an older 750W PSU I had and performance in benchmarks dropped too. Not by a huge amount, but by an amount that makes me think maybe it somehow is a PSU related problem. (probably just wishful thinking)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:20 PM, Agero said:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 ti XC3 Ultra
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w
Mainboard: ASUS Prime z490-a
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX  3600Mhz

First off, excuse my English.
I upgraded my GTX1080 to a 3080ti and was expecting a boost in performance, but so far my experience has been very frustrating and disappointing
I have been struggling with this for the past few days.
I tried many things, but nothing really seems to work, and I just don't know what the problem could be.

I play on a 1080p 240hz monitor, I play a few selected games on my 4k TV.

Games appear to run fine in 4k, but not in 1080p.

I have this Problem where I'm pretty sure I do not get the Fps I should in most games:
For example 
CSGO: 200 fps
Apex: 200- 220 fps
Warzone: 110-130 fps
Battlefield 4: 160 fps
Some off these games are set to low or have dsll enabled, but there is no noticeable improvement, sometimes maybe about 20fps.
There are videos on YouTube with the same or very similar gpu and cpu setups that have way better performance, some get like 80fps more.

The only game that has similar performance to videos is Cyberpunk.

Some things I have tried:

I wiped my system clean and installed windows and all drivers from new,
Uninstalling Drivers with DDU,
Performance settings in windows and nvidia,

Gpu Temp is around: 80 °C 

CPU about 60 °C

I hope someone might be able to help me out
Will provide any information that is needed.

Thank you!

hi there i know it been few weeks just wanting to know did you get a fix as i have the same problem 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 6:32 AM, Agero said:

Today I have the chance to test my GPU on another system, ill see how it goes.

The Display error only happens for me when I switch from a G-sync display to another one that has G-sync disabled. Displays with G-Sync to G-Sync work fine and Display with G-Sync off to G-Sync off also had no problems, so I guess it's a G-Sync problem.

I also swapped my PSU to an older 750W PSU I had and performance in benchmarks dropped too. Not by a huge amount, but by an amount that makes me think maybe it somehow is a PSU related problem. (probably just wishful thinking)

same here interested in what steps you taken and hows your computer running as of today. Appreciate your efforts

• 1 month later...

Man, I have the exact same problems and same story as you. If by any means you found a solution, please tell us... I'm lost.

Hi all, i fitted my new Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 3 days ago. i have the i7 8700k cpu at 4.8ghz and i am so dissapointed with the results in games. When i run benchmarks i get roughly the expected results but in games i am getting roughly the same fps as i was getting with my GTX 1080ti. The weird thing i noticed is the highest gpu and cpu usage i have seen is 60% and the hottest i have seen the card is 65 degrees. In Assetto Corsa Competitione i am only getting 38% gpu usage and 50% cpu usage.

I have a Corsair 850w psu and running m.2`s

I am totally at a loss :(

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, did anyone manage to solve the problem? I'm having exact same issue, upgraded from 2080ti to a 3080ti and I'm having same GPU usage problems, I tried almost everything. 

Upgraded from i7 10700 to i9 11900k, I bought a new Motherboard, I requested a 3080ti replacement from newegg, and the new GPU I got is giving me same performance, reinstalled windows several times, checked the XMP profile.

32gb RAM