Potential PSU issue?

Churt Fumpus
Go to solution Solved by Ty2525,
Just now, Churt Fumpus said:

The card does not turn on in any way as far as I can tell.

Nothing shows up on screen.

There's 4 LEDs on the motherboard, one that says VGA just stays lit up and that's as far as the PC gets while booting up. Manual for the motherboard says "indicates GPU/ PCIE/ M.2 device is not detected or fail."

VGA light is a GPU fault in this context. Reseat the GPU inside the PCIe slot and ensure there are no broken pins, etc inside the slot. Also ensure the slot is free of any dust. Then reseat card in the slot the PCIe power cables into the card, ensuring they are not damaged/installed backwards this can apply to the PSU as well if the cables are modular. Let me know if it fixes it! Good luck! 

I recently finished my first PC build. Everything worked fine upon turning it on for the first time. Literally no issues, it went as smoothly as it possibly could have. Every part worked, all the fans were spinning, RGB fans were lit up and it posted to my monitor fine. Within about an hour the RGB effects just froze. Lights were still on, so I figured I'd try Corsair's app to try changing the colors and get them looking nice. The app didn't pick up any sort of RGB in my PC. I tried a reboot and the RGB on just... Didn't work at all after that. Fans still worked fine, so I submitted a ticket to Corsair (assuming it was an issue with the RGB hub included in the 220T case) and continued using the PC.

That was a little over a week ago. More recently, the GPU just... Didn't turn on upon a reboot. The computer powers up, the case fans and CPU fan turn on fine, everything seems to work... But the GPU fans don't turn on, and I suspect the GPU isn't receiving power. With two parts in the PC not working, I'm starting to think the issue may be with the power supply, rather than both of those parts. Any help for this kind of situation? The PSU is a Fractal Design Ion+ 660P.

12 minutes ago, Boomy Beatle said:

One possible solution is to simply reseat the GPU in the PCIe slot and doublecheck the power cables.

I've already doublechecked the cables, and reseating the GPU did not fix the problem.

Does your motherboard have any sort of Debug LED, Speaker, or Screen that shows post codes? The GPU, even if it doesn't get PCIe power, should turn on from my experience and A) Show a warning on screen B) Card will just idle while post code is generated or C) both. 

Does the card turn on in any way? Fans, RGB, etc? 

Does anything show up on screen?

What does the Debug Speaker/LEDs/Screen show-do-say? (if applicable) 

48 minutes ago, Ty2525 said:

Does your motherboard have any sort of Debug LED, Speaker, or Screen that shows post codes? The GPU, even if it doesn't get PCIe power, should turn on from my experience and A) Show a warning on screen B) Card will just idle while post code is generated or C) both. 

Does the card turn on in any way? Fans, RGB, etc? 

Does anything show up on screen?

What does the Debug Speaker/LEDs/Screen show-do-say? (if applicable) 

There's 4 LEDs on the motherboard, one that says VGA just stays lit up and that's as far as the PC gets while booting up. Manual for the motherboard says "indicates GPU/ PCIE/ M.2 device is not detected or fail."

Just now, Churt Fumpus said:

VGA light is a GPU fault in this context. Reseat the GPU inside the PCIe slot and ensure there are no broken pins, etc inside the slot. Also ensure the slot is free of any dust. Then reseat card in the slot the PCIe power cables into the card, ensuring they are not damaged/installed backwards this can apply to the PSU as well if the cables are modular. Let me know if it fixes it! Good luck! 

14 minutes ago, Ty2525 said:

Oh my god. I accidentally knocked out the PCIe power cable from the PSU. I thought I'd checked them all already but I'm just an idiot. I was worried my GPU was fried. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Churt Fumpus said:

Oh my god. I accidentally knocked out the PCIe power cable from the PSU. I thought I'd checked them all already but I'm just an idiot. I was worried my GPU was fried. Thanks.

Does it work now?