Gsync on an (unsupported) freesync monitor?

bungusboy81

I've been using gsync on my monitor ever since I got my new computer with an nvidia GPU, but I was wondering if, since my monitor doesn't officially support gsync, only gsync, it could be causing or could cause issues. I've noticed stutters and bad frametimes in certain games and I know for a fact that some of them are just the game engine messing it up, but I wanted to know if my monitor could also be causing the problem with frametimes and stutters. Could it be?

On 6/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, bungusboy81 said:

I've been using gsync on my monitor ever since I got my new computer with an nvidia GPU, but I was wondering if, since my monitor doesn't officially support gsync, only gsync, it could be causing or could cause issues. I've noticed stutters and bad frametimes in certain games and I know for a fact that some of them are just the game engine messing it up, but I wanted to know if my monitor could also be causing the problem with frametimes and stutters. Could it be?

bump

As long as you can enable it and verify that it works (For example use the G-Sync pendulum demo and look for stuttering/tearing) then there are no bad side effects of using G-Sync on a FreeSync monitor. It can happen that you enable it on a FreeSync monitor but it's acutally not really active. The only way to know is to test it like i wrote above.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

As long as you can enable it and verify that it works (For example use the G-Sync pendulum demo and look for stuttering/tearing) then there are no bad side effects of using G-Sync on a FreeSync monitor. It can happen that you enable it on a FreeSync monitor but it's acutally not really active. The only way to know is to test it like i wrote above.

I've done that test before and it worked so I should be fine. Thank you!