Got an RTX 3060, currently have a GTX 1070 - a bit of buyers regret. Thoughts?

ministrsinister

3060 Dilemma  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Keep the 3060 and sell the 1070
    • Eventually sell the 3060 when able to buy something better, along with the 1070
    • Just keep everything ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Jul 02, 2021 at 02:00 PM

I bought a 3060 through Newegg Shuffle, I've been trying for a few months and just selecting all the GPUs they had available.

finally managed to snag a card, and just purchased it yesterday. Card in question is here. After sleeping on it, I'm a bit worried that if its really a worthy upgrade from my 1070, and if I should try to get my hands on a 3070, 3060ti, or even a 6700 XT. I am maybe getting a 20% performance increase. Considering I've also bought a 1440p LG monitor, I'm not sure if the 3060 will be able to game at max rez on future titles much better than the 1070. I guess more VRAM than the 3060ti is cool and all but, eh, I don't know. 

Any thoughts on this? I could sell my old 1070 + the 3060 for a fair price used, and have enough to get a new GPU + a small profit. But given the shortage, maybe I should just count my blessings and move on?

Edited by ministrsinister
spacing & grammar

"I did it once... I can do it again! That's why I have two children" - Linus 2k15

Sell the 3060 for all its worth and keep using the 1070 until ex-mining 3060 Ti cards start to show up at sub-MSRP prices online.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Depends on the games you play, personally I'd keep the 3060. The main games I have trouble running at my native res (4K) do support DLSS, meaning an RTX card is worth it even if would normally be a bit underpowered for that resolution. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Depends on the games you play, personally I'd keep the 3060. The main games I have trouble running at my native res (4K) do support DLSS, meaning an RTX card is worth it even if would normally be a bit underpowered for that resolution. 

That's true, I'm also really interested in using Nvidia broadcast to cancel out background noise with all of its AI/ML goodness. I play a huge variety, pretty much whatever me and my friends are feeling. It could be as simple as Among Us or more graphic intensive like Red Dead Online. Think the 3060 is sufficient for 1440p gaming?

"I did it once... I can do it again! That's why I have two children" - Linus 2k15

13 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Sell the 3060 for all its worth and keep using the 1070 until ex-mining 3060 Ti cards start to show up at sub-MSRP prices online.

That's what I was thinking, but not necessarily an ex-mining card - more like something new-in-box when I'm able to find something. Wouldn't burn-out be a concern when buying a used GPU from crypto farms?

4 minutes ago, ministrsinister said:

That's true, I'm also really interested in using Nvidia broadcast to cancel out background noise with all of its AI/ML goodness. I play a huge variety, pretty much whatever me and my friends are feeling. It could be as simple as Among Us or more graphic intensive like Red Dead Online. Think the 3060 is sufficient for 1440p gaming?

Should be, I assume it's noticeably faster than my 2060 Super, and that only struggles at 4K. Plus the DLSS/RTX throughput improvements with the new cards will help when you run anything that takes advantage of that functionality. I don't remember if Nvidia Broadcast does, you can get it to run on Pascal cards so it can use normal CUDA cores, but I think it does prefer the newer stuff if available. You'll also have the Turing NVENC encoder, which is an improvement over Pascal. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

42 minutes ago, ministrsinister said:

That's what I was thinking, but not necessarily an ex-mining card - more like something new-in-box when I'm able to find something. Wouldn't burn-out be a concern when buying a used GPU from crypto farms?

If it’s coming for Joe Homebrew who left his MicroATX rig with no ventilation and just an 80mm rear exhaust sitting on the carpet eating cat hair, yeah, that’s a real concern. If it’s coming from an actual mining operation, it’s fine. Think about it: those cards the lifeblood of that business. If a 3060 Ti bakes itself, that’s a perfectly good 3060 Ti that they now have to replace or lose the power of.

Actual, real miners take care of their shit, running it undervolted on elevated, exposed frames in a clean environment. Murdering the things that make your venture profitable is not an effective business plan. I’ve bought ex-mining cards from eBay many times, and when I replace my 1070 with a 3060 Ti, that’s how I’ll do it.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.