Connecting to a network remotely

Hi everyone,

I'm running an experiment on a lab computer that I want to remotely monitor.

The computer is running windows xp so I am using the windows remote desktop client, as teamviewer and other remote monitoring programs aren't supported by xp anymore.

I need to set up a VPN to the lab router so that I can be on the same network and access the remote desktop program, which only functions when the computer you are controlling is on the same network as the remote computer. 

How would I go about finding the server address to set up the connection, and do I need to enable VPN connections on the router settings, and if so, how would I do that?

Thanks,

James

On this remote network, do you have access to the router? You can seutp a vpn server. THen connect to the vpn. What routers do you have?

Most routers that support vpns will give you a manual of how to setup the vpn server. Is this connecting over a public network, if so you would connect to the public ip.

I have access to the router, it is a netgear n300, and I am unsure of how to go about setting up the VPN server. I know thats what I need to do, just not how to do it. I went to routerlogin.net and tried to figure it out but didn't know where to look