Power supply advice

adm1jtg

I am upgrading my current system and have most of the parts I need EXCEPT a video card and perhaps a better power supply. Current system config is as follows:

asus b365 prime-a motherboard

i5-8400 cpu

16 gb mamory

crucial p5 500gb nvme

current video card is a 750ti without any external power

eventually video card will be updated to either a 1660 super or something like a 5600 xt or 6800 NON xt (once i can get one for a decent price)

current power supply is a rosewill LC-8500BTX which I have read is a very poor power supply. It works and is suposed to be 500w but reading the only hit i found on it its really more like a 350 and a poor quality one at that. 

So after the long intro the question is actually a rather simple one. This is obvously still a budget gaming build, and that power supply from what I can tell needs to go. I looked over the PSU tier lists but really didnt get a great feel for which ones would serve me best on a budget pc build. I tried to look up a few of the yellow texted ones and they were all unavailable.

So since I wont be overclocking my cpu and the graphic cards are on the lower end of the power spectrum what is the standard recommended decent quality, well priced, reliable no frills power supply you guys like best?

Dont care about LED and modularity is definitely a plus but not a requirement. Thinking no less then 500w and no more then 650w. On a budget but will pay what is needed for a reliable power supply

Corsair RM550, Seasonic Focus GX550 or Be Quiet Pure Power 11. Get the cheapest option. If that's too expensive maybe a CX550, but I would recommend one of the first.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What country are you shopping or do you have a link to the shop?

Am in USA so would likely either buy from amazon or newegg

14 minutes ago, adm1jtg said:

Am in USA so would likely either buy from amazon or newegg

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-GA-0650-X1/dp/B07WW1XK45/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=rm550&qid=1624307983&sr=8-7

Good PSU with good warranty. The 650w is nice if you plan on upgrading. Not sure if it's on sale for non Prime members but I think it is

15 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-GA-0650-X1/dp/B07WW1XK45/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=rm550&qid=1624307983&sr=8-7

Good PSU with good warranty. The 650w is nice if you plan on upgrading. Not sure if it's on sale for non Prime members but I think it is

I was thinking a 550 would be more then enough.... could probably get away with a good 450 if needed. Would you recommend the same model in a 550?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-GA-0550-X1/dp/B07WNXY6T5/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=EVGA+SuperNOVA+500+Ga&qid=1624308914&sr=8-2#

also that bequiet came in around about the same price. Looks like I will be getting a list if a few power supplies and waitig on a good sale.

6 minutes ago, adm1jtg said:

I was thinking a 550 would be more then enough.... could probably get away with a good 450 if needed. Would you recommend the same model in a 550?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-GA-0550-X1/dp/B07WNXY6T5/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=EVGA+SuperNOVA+500+Ga&qid=1624308914&sr=8-2#

also that bequiet came in around about the same price. Looks like I will be getting a list if a few power supplies and waitig on a good sale.

That should also be good, didn't see it was on discount

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Ok ... again based on my above specs do I REALLY need anything over 550? I am not really looking for upgradeability as 12v only power supplies may well be the norm by the next time I upgrade. I was thinking I could even get by with a high quality 450w

Budget is really not high enough to get a $100 power supply which is what most of the suggested power supplies go for, this is a budget system after all. If the above choices are really the best bang for the buck choices even for a budget build then I will simply have to hold off on replacing the above listed one I am using now and wait for a really good sale

Was really hoping there was a model that was like its ugly and old, tough as nails and just works, no frills at all. 

37 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Don't save a few bucks on the PSU when you want to add a RX 6800 later on.

In my opinion the best budget model is https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F2rxr/corsair-cx-2017-650w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na

OK 6800 would be the max card I was thinking to add to this system but as it was pointed out that would likely bottleneck my cpu badly. Even so if you run the numbers on neweggs power calculator the MAX I can hit with any combination for my system components is 462 watts, thats with the power hungry 6800. Because of that bottleneck potential I will likely lower my choices to 5500 xt 8gb, 5600 xt, 1660 super or 1650 super.

With those new choices the max wattage looks like this:

5500 xt - 322 watts

5600 xt - 342 watts

1650 super - 282 watts

1660 super - 307 watts

This is inclusive of ALL components in the system. Current system is 242 watts total (750 TI), mentioning this as may not be able to get any video card for some time yet.

So what am I missing as everyone is recommending at least a 650 or 750? Based on the above numbers seems a good quality 450 would do me just fine, get a 500 or 550 just in case buy why a 650 or 750 as I dont think I would ever use that much. Also please note the 8400 is a locked processor, so no OC.

Wouldnt it be better to lets say get a gold 450 rather then a bronze 750? Not sure the pricing is comparable but hypothetically?

Please understand I am not questioning your recommendations other then to understand. I am obviously missing something in my calculations. Again as I said earlier once i get the video card this system will likely not be upgraded nor will I try and re-use parts from this system in my next build as the whole nature of power supplies may change by the time I upgrade again.. I usually just hand off the system in its entirety to a family member who can use it and build 100% from scratch when the time comes.

24 minutes ago, adm1jtg said:

Wouldnt it be better to lets say get a gold 450 rather then a bronze 750?

You must look for quality, not efficiency. A 80 Plus certificate is not a mark for quality. There's no better 50 buck 650w then the Corsair CX650 I mentioned. For 5600X you can go for 550w like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KhWBD3/corsair-cxf-550-w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020225-na

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

You must look for quality, not efficiency. A 80 Plus certificate is not a mark for quality. There's no better 50 buck 650w then the Corsair CX650 I mentioned. For 5600X you can go for 550w like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KhWBD3/corsair-cxf-550-w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020225-na

Just wanted to thank everyone for putting up with all my questions I just ordered the cx650 as on newegg presently there is a $20 mail in rebate and a $10 off code. Bringing this highly rated power supply down to $54 including tax.

Nothing more to discuss cant do better then that.

Thanks again

FYI, just more proof of what a great choice this is

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650-power-supply-review

Its also on the b rated list in yellow so all good