ssd

Surestgarlic2

I want to upgrade to an ssd that will offer noticably better performance than my 7400 rpm 500 gb hdd I want more storage but I also need to keep it under 70 us dollars

no m.2

Basically any stable SSD would be a big difference.

I think if I'd buy an SSD for given price I'd go with - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6G9tt6/team-t-force-vulcan-g-512-gb-25-solid-state-drive-t253tg512g3c301

But if to extend the price range - nvme 1TB drive would be better - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KMkgXL/crucial-p2-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ct1000p2ssd8

I edit my posts more often than not

21 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

But if to extend the price range - nvme 1TB drive would be better

OP explicitly mentioned that they don't want M.2 though. Likely because they're on an older motherboard that doesn't support it.

1 minute ago, wavem2 said:

OP explicitly mentioned that they don't want M.2 though. Likely because they're on an older motherboard that doesn't support it.

Oh, that was not in bold 😄

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Oh, that was not in bold 😄

I wish I could get a chance to tell the difference between the two, though. I'm still on two SATA SSDs for my entire storage and am mighty curious about NVME. Probably reserve it until I actually need more storage and not just dump money... heh.

If not NVME then I'd go with a reliable Crucial MX500

Just now, wavem2 said:

I wish I could get a chance to tell the difference between the two, though. I'm still on two SATA SSDs for my entire storage and am mighty curious about NVME. Probably reserve it until I actually need more storage and not just dump money... heh.

Only big difference nvme vs SATA in games is that textures in some games load instantly, versus in a second.

7 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

If not NVME then I'd go with a reliable Crucial MX500

Only big difference nvme vs SATA in games is that textures in some games load instantly, versus in a second.

I'd go MX500 as well, but the budget does not allow him to get an SSD that is over his current HDD storage of 500GB (have his cake) and under $70 (eat it too). If you can find a 1TB MX500, or Hynix P31 Gold, or WD Blue, or similar 2.5" SATA SSD w/ DRAM for under $70, then I'd buy it in an instant.  

2 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

I'd go MX500 as well, but the budget does not allow him to get an SSD that is over his current HDD storage of 500GB (have his cake) and under $70 (eat it too). If you can find a 1TB MX500 for under $70, or Hynix P31 Gold, or WD Blue, etc. I'd buy it in an instant.  

Well OP didn't mention it has to be 1TB.

The 500GB MX500 is way below $70

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1

Matter of choice between 1TB BX500 and 500GB MX500.

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Well OP didn't mention it has to be 1TB.

"500 gb hdd I want more storage but I also need to keep it under 70 us dollars"

I don't think I've seen a SSD that's over 500GB that isn't 1TB. Biggest difference between BX500 and MX500 is the lack of a DRAM cache in the BX500. Not a big deal, IMO, at this price point considering the OP only has a HDD presently. 

2 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

"500 gb hdd I want more storage but I also need to keep it under 70 us dollars"

Well, matter of interpretation. I hope OP will return to specify if 1TB or less will suffice.