Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a repost from reddit

"My rx 480 Sapphire Nitro+ died today.

Last week, it occasionally crashed during gaming, but I thought I had fixed this issue by updating my OS.

Today, after a few minutes in CS:GO (on linux), it crashed (same symptoms as before, blackscreen, had to force shutdown by pressing the power button), but it didn't boot again.

Integrated grafics work fine, but the rx480 doesn't show up in my bioses system browser (or linux or windows).

The fans don't spin up at all, but the RGB still works (yay).

Same symptoms on another PC.

Another GPU works fine in the same PCI Express slot, so I think the card is dead.

I took the card apart, but everything seems to be fine. I found a DIP switch, but I don't know what it does.

Comparing it to some PCB images, everything seems to be in place.

Any ideas for help?"

It also might be that some fuse on the card is dead, as even the fans don't spin up, only the RGB works, but I don't know.

The thermal paste is a little dry, but that shouldn't stop the fans from spinning. There was also not a lot of dust, and there seems to be no major erosion.

Thanks!

The DIP switch probably switches between two bios profiles (turbo or something more aggressive  and a normal , more silent profile)

Try switching between bios profiles, just in case one bios profile or bios chip is corrupted ... but I doubt it. 

Sounds more like a power issue, probably a mosfet or power stage in the dc-dc converter on the video card has failed and blew a fuse at the input. Check the fuses on the pci-e slot 12v input and the ones near the pci-e 6/8 pin connectors, see if there's continuity. 

If they're open, something caused those fuses to blow open, so visually inspect all mosfets carefully for cracks or signs they blew up 

if you're lucky, it could be just a shorted ceramic capacitor (if they're shorted often they have a slightly different color than the others around, more brown/cream than normal, usually)

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, mariushm said:

The DIP switch probably switches between two bios profiles (turbo or something more aggressive  and a normal , more silent profile)

Try switching between bios profiles, just in case one bios profile or bios chip is corrupted ... but I doubt it. 

Sounds more like a power issue, probably a mosfet or power stage in the dc-dc converter on the video card has failed and blew a fuse at the input. Check the fuses on the pci-e slot 12v input and the ones near the pci-e 6/8 pin connectors, see if there's continuity. 

If they're open, something caused those fuses to blow open, so visually inspect all mosfets carefully for cracks or signs they blew up 

if you're lucky, it could be just a shorted ceramic capacitor (if they're shorted often they have a slightly different color than the others around, more brown/cream than normal, usually)

Thanks alot, I'll look into that as soon as I have time.

Edit: The DIP switch didn't change anything. Guess I'll measure a little in a few weeks

Edited by linuslikeslinux
Tested new stuff