Computer struggles dealing with an 2'5inch HDD to USB enclosure?

Go to solution Solved by Kminh1209,

It seems like a power issue.

I have a Latitude E7740 laptop. When I plug my HDD USB 3.0 enclosure in, the computer starts freaking out, constantly enabling and disabling the USB enclosure (for power saving?). I took care of that by uncheck the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" but the computer still stop it after a while. The files are accessible (not for the users' folder). Disk Management and Minitool Partition Wizard fail to lauch/refresh but immediately work after I unplug it, even restarting/signing out/shutdown fail while it is connected. CPU usage peaks.

It is not just Windows that struggles though. I have a Kali Linux VM and the same problems occur when I connect it to my VM: GParted take forever to load disks, 100% CPU usage, cannot restart/shutdown/reboot (but using sudo works). Kali Linux take ages to mount any of the 3 partitions the HDD has which does not happen with Windows 10.

ORICO is the HDD enclosure's brand

I am a little bit confused why this happened so if you have any theories, please reply (also make it clear that if your reply is a just theory or the real explanation)

Does the enclosure draw power exclusively from the USB port, or does it plug into the wall?

Is there an HDD in the enclosure, or is it an SSD?

I suspect your USB port is not capable of powering the HDD in your enclosure.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

25 minutes ago, Kminh1209 said:

I have a Latitude E7740 laptop. When I plug my HDD USB 3.0 enclosure in, the computer starts freaking out, constantly enabling and disabling the USB enclosure (for power saving?). I took care of that by uncheck the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" but the computer still stop it after a while. The files are accessible (not for the users' folder). Disk Management and Minitool Partition Wizard fail to lauch/refresh but immediately work after I unplug it, even restarting/signing out/shutdown fail while it is connected. CPU usage peaks.

It is not just Windows that struggles though. I have a Kali Linux VM and the same problems occur when I connect it to my VM: GParted take forever to load disks, 100% CPU usage, cannot restart/shutdown/reboot (but using sudo works). Kali Linux take ages to mount any of the 3 partitions the HDD has which does not happen with Windows 10.

ORICO is the HDD enclosure's brand

I am a little bit confused why this happened so if you have any theories, please reply (also make it clear that if your reply is a just theory or the real explanation)

Your VM test tells you nothing, if Windows is having issues reading the partition map then its not going to forward them onto the VM correctly. You really need to plug it into a totally different machine to 100% tell if its the drive/enclosure or the USB ports/Windows/Drivers at fault here.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This sounds like either a bad drive or a power issue. You'll need to try another physical computer to determine which is the case, and if it works fine on another system then you'll know that the first one can't output enough power. If the other system has issues you should start looking to see if the disk itself is bad. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Your VM test tells you nothing, if Windows is having issues reading the partition map then its not going to forward them onto the VM correctly. You really need to plug it into a totally different machine to 100% tell if its the drive/enclosure or the USB ports/Windows/Drivers at fault here.

9 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

This sounds like either a bad drive or a power issue. You'll need to try another physical computer to determine which is the case, and if it works fine on another system then you'll know that the first one can't output enough power. If the other system has issues you should start looking to see if the disk itself is bad. 

That could be the case but my partitions are displayed correctly on both Windows and the VM, Windows manages to mount the partitions but fails to deal with permissions (Users' folder cannot be accessed, using administrator permission to change ownership and other users' permissions just take forever so Windows give up half way). I have a USB Wifi dongle that immediately works with Windows but need drivers to function on the VM. Another time, I try unlocking my phone's bootloader using fastboot and adb, I do not have any drivers on my host machine but it works just fine when forwarded to VM (except the adb reboot-bootloader just reboot. I have try other way of doing it but those all fail) so it is probably not a driver issue.

It could be a power issue because my HDD enclosure do not have SATA power cable/plug for my drive (WD Blue 500GB). Plugging it to another laptop (I do not have desktops), it works, no it is not. Temporary CPU usage spikes, cannot change permissions, disk management take forever connecting to Virtual Disk Service, random disconnects, explorer crashing when applying security settings for file access. Restarting works, the partitions mount in no time compare to the other machine but the same permission issue is blocking me from rescuing my (not very) precious data. 

Edited by Kminh1209

CMD/PWSH (command prompt / powershell) with administrator or SYSTEM permissions can cd in the Users' directories but cannot list files and folders without crashing, even tabbing make it crash.

Edited by Kminh1209
grammar

• 2 months later...