NVMe upgrade

Hi.. Will lenovo yoga 520-14IKB support 1 tb NVMe (samsung 980)? My laptop specification shows 

• PCIe: 128 GB / 256 GB / 512 GB / Optane memory 16 GB (on select models)

• SATA: 128 GB / 256 GB

So it is showing maximum 512 GB PCIe. Will 1 tb PCIe work on this? Or it will create problem? Please help!

My guess is that 512 GB is the maximum they offer, not necessarily the maximum that is supported. However it might be soldered and not user replaceable.

~edit: Was able to find the handbook:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga_520-14ikb_hmm_201703.pdf

Looks to be a regular M.2 SSD. I see no reason why a 1 TB SSD shouldn't work.

But: Unless I'm mistaken, the Samsung 980 is a PCIe 4.0 SSD, which would be a waste. The machine only has PCIe 3.0. While it is compatible, you can probably get a 970 for cheaper which would have the same performance.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

39 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

My guess is that 512 GB is the maximum they offer, not necessarily the maximum that is supported. However it might be soldered and not user replaceable.

But: Unless I'm mistaken, the Samsung 980 is a PCIe 4.0 SSD, which would be a waste. The machine only has PCIe 3.0. While it is compatible, you can probably get a 970 for cheaper which would have the same performance.

That or a crucial p1 even cheaper and for pretty much anything that system can do there will be no difference.

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

But when I asked at the lenovo customer care, they said that 512 GB is the maximum that it supports and 1 tb will not support. Do you know anyone who is using same laptop with 1tb nvme? Actually I was getting both samsung 980 and 970 at almost same price, because of some offer on amazon. 

But that customer care guy messed up my head. I will not be able to return it, in case it does not work. 

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

That or a crucial p1 even cheaper and for pretty much anything that system can do there will be no difference.

Yes but my question is that, will 1 tb work? I have doubt on that. Because from lenovo customer care they are saying that 1 tb nvme will not work. Max is 512 gb. Do you know anyone who uses same laptop model with 1 tb nvme?

7 minutes ago, Tanusree Kundu said:

But when I asked at the lenovo customer care, they said that 512 GB is the maximum that it supports and 1 tb will not support. Do you know anyone who is using same laptop with 1tb nvme? Actually I was getting both samsung 980 and 970 at almost same price, because of some offer on amazon. 

But that customer care guy messed up my head. I will not be able to return it, in case it does not work. 

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08TJ2649W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&th=1

This one I was thinking to buy. It shows 3.0 

20 minutes ago, Tanusree Kundu said:

Yes but my question is that, will 1 tb work? I have doubt on that. Because from lenovo customer care they are saying that 1 tb nvme will not work. Max is 512 gb. Do you know anyone who uses same laptop model with 1 tb nvme?

Yeah no problem and for knowing a person. That would be me. It was my old sticker bommed laptop. Put a 2 tb wd something ssd in there I think or maybe it was the sx8200 not sure anymore.

Either way the 980 is you overpaying A LOT for something you won't use.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah no problem and for knowing a person. That would be me. It was my old sticker bommed laptop. Put a 2 tb wd something ssd in there I think or maybe it was the sx8200 not sure anymore.

Either way the 980 is you overpaying A LOT for something you won't use.

Actually Im getting a huge discount on amazon today for samsung 980. The discount is unbelievable. So I am going for the 980 model. Amzon is even giving 980 a cheaper price than 970. So I am not worried about the cost. 

You can check this link:

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-V8V1T0/dp/B08TJ2649W/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+970&qid=1623685953&s=computers&sr=1-5

The price seems so good!

I placed order for 980 just now. Finger crossed! And thank you guys so much! 🙂