PSU recommendation

JasonBD

Budget (including currency): 200-250 Canadian dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ARMA III, Ground Branch, Streaming, gaming recording

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey everyone,

I'm upgrading my PC and I need a recommendation with regards to the PSU. I know there's the list of PSU's but I don't quite get it with the multi-rail and single rail stuff.

Here are the new specs I will have

Ryzen 9 5900x (just bought it)

Nvidia GTX 1060 FE 6gb VRAM (already have)

MOBO : https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming/p/N82E16813119111?Item=N82E16813119111 (just bought it)

2 x SSD (already have)

1 x HDD (alrady have)

1 x optical drive (alrady have)

16 gb ram 3600mhz (just bought it)

Once things become normal, I intend on buying a 3070 so I need the new PSU to be able to power that as well.

What PSU would you guys recommend for this build. I'm biased towards corsair, evga, and seasonic on that front.

1 minute ago, JasonBD said:

Here are the new specs I will have

Ryzen 9 5900x (just bought it)

Nvidia GTX 1060 FE 6gb VRAM (already have)

MOBO : https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming/p/N82E16813119111?Item=N82E16813119111 (just bought it)

2 x SSD (already have)

1 x HDD (alrady have)

1 x optical drive (alrady have)

16 gb ram 3600mhz (just bought it)

I recommend 750W if ya gonna add 3070 or above, but some can scrap by 650-700.

2 minutes ago, JasonBD said:

I'm biased towards corsair, evga, and seasonic on that front.

Well, then go for whats good in the PSU tier list, all 3 are a pretty good brand. I highly rate RM750 and Supernova G3.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

28 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Supernova G3.

Why do you highly rate a unit known to have pretty large issues?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

5 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Why do you highly rate a unit known to have pretty large issues?

Is it on those problematic new lineup or overall? Ive heard theyre pretty reliable steed.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Is it on those problematic new lineup or overall? Ive heard theyre pretty reliable steed.

I don't understand what you're asking. G3 has issues with its protections and the fan curve.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

7 minutes ago, Elisis said:

I don't understand what you're asking. G3 has issues with its protections and the fan curve.

2018 thread but I’m pretty sure the same problems exist today.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I have realized that I might've made a mistake in ordering the RAM. I got this model and I just now realized it states Intel XMP 2.0. Will this be compatible with an AMD config?

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2D3600C16

MOBO : https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming/p/N82E16813119111?Item=N82E16813119111

CPU : https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/p/N82E16819113664?Item=N82E16819113664

RAM : https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236694?Item=N82E16820236694

The memory is fine.

The G3 is an older design and compared to some newer models is not the best choice.

You might check the pricing on a Corsair RMX (2021). Seasonic GX are also very good units. 

As to single vs multi rail. There is a real debate over which is better. For the majority of us it doesn't really matter.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.