Guidance for headset

Firecroll

Hi everyone, first of all english is not my main languange so sorry for any misspelling.

As the title says im looking for guidance in the headset world xD. I currently have a Corsair Vengeance 2100 Dolby 7.1 but it seems that the headset is in its last days. I think i bought it 8 or 10 years ago maybe, so it lasted quite a bit.
I'm looking for anything that is not expensive but is at least as good as my current headset or better if posible. I use a wireless headset because i always end up for some reason with the cable tangled up as if it were a phone cable from the 60s. even though i was always careful. I could buy a wired one if cables nowadays have a sheath that prevents that though.

I've done some research and this is what i end up with.

Wireless: 

• Hyperx Cloud II Wireless 7.1
  • Cooler Master MH670 7.1
  • Logitech G Series G533 (but it seems the microphone is bad)
  • Hyperx Cloud Flight (seems to have a better mic than G533 from logitech but still inferior to Cloud II wireless)

Wired:

• HyperX Cloud II
  • Cooler Master mh650 7.1
  • Sennheiser GSP 300 (im concerned that the mic is so sensible it will get even my typing which doesnt happen with the Corsair)
  • Cooler Master CH321 (but seems far worse for a wired headset in audio and mic sound quality)

I dont know much about audio so i tried to research as much as i could but maybe i got some fake info and thats why im here so you could help me out if posible.

As the prices regards im from Argentina so dont worry too much about that the idea is that its better or equal quality to my current corsair vengance 2100, for now my go to would be Hyperx Cloud II Wireless 7.1 wireless or Cooler Master MH670 7.1 for wireless and HyperX Cloud 2 or Cooler Master mh650 for a wired one. But if you know about another one that could go to the list that could be an option too.
I just use it to hear music and be able to hear well the footsteps on shooter games which corsair does pretty good when i have 7.1 enabled. Mic should be good too i dont like if everything around me is heard when i speak.

Also interchangable pads would be a huge plus but first the audio quality, the idea is that i'm able to use my new headset for a long time like i did with my Corsair.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

6 hours ago, Firecroll said:

Hi everyone, first of all english is not my main languange so sorry for any misspelling.

As the title says im looking for guidance in the headset world xD. I currently have a Corsair Vengeance 2100 Dolby 7.1 but it seems that the headset is in its last days. I think i bought it 8 or 10 years ago maybe, so it lasted quite a bit.
I'm looking for anything that is not expensive but is at least as good as my current headset or better if posible. I use a wireless headset because i always end up for some reason with the cable tangled up as if it were a phone cable from the 60s. even though i was always careful. I could buy a wired one if cables nowadays have a sheath that prevents that though.

I've done some research and this is what i end up with.

Wireless: 

• Hyperx Cloud II Wireless 7.1
  • Cooler Master MH670 7.1
  • Logitech G Series G533 (but it seems the microphone is bad)
  • Hyperx Cloud Flight (seems to have a better mic than G533 from logitech but still inferior to Cloud II wireless)

Wired:

• HyperX Cloud II
  • Cooler Master mh650 7.1
  • Sennheiser GSP 300 (im concerned that the mic is so sensible it will get even my typing which doesnt happen with the Corsair)
  • Cooler Master CH321 (but seems far worse for a wired headset in audio and mic sound quality)

I dont know much about audio so i tried to research as much as i could but maybe i got some fake info and thats why im here so you could help me out if posible.

As the prices regards im from Argentina so dont worry too much about that the idea is that its better or equal quality to my current corsair vengance 2100, for now my go to would be Hyperx Cloud II Wireless 7.1 wireless or Cooler Master MH670 7.1 for wireless and HyperX Cloud 2 or Cooler Master mh650 for a wired one. But if you know about another one that could go to the list that could be an option too.
I just use it to hear music and be able to hear well the footsteps on shooter games which corsair does pretty good when i have 7.1 enabled. Mic should be good too i dont like if everything around me is heard when i speak.

Also interchangable pads would be a huge plus but first the audio quality, the idea is that i'm able to use my new headset for a long time like i did with my Corsair.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Firstly, you can just forget 7.1. Take that out of the picture. It's the stupidest marketing trick any gaming company can pull on you. What you want to look at are some good stereo headphones with a seperate mic that can be used with the headphone or research deeper into headphones and see which one's are actually good. Also forget logitech, razer and steelseries.

You brung up some Cooler Master headphones except for the best one, the MH752's. They are reskinned studio monitors designed for audio quality in mind and a mic attached. Cloud 2's are an older model of the same brand that the Cooler Master's are reskinned from. The CM one has better tuned drivers imho and the mic is very good for being a gaming headset.

Also a good mic is only achievable through wires at this price and will pick up a bit of your keyboard IF you need good audio quality for your voice. Having noise supression and other methods of muting other sounds will ruin your mic quality. (There is a thing in discord called noise supression which is VERY good from my experience and you can use the dB slider to filter out lower sounds.)

Take a look at someone like Z reviews who knows his audio stuff and watch his video about the MH752's. They are truly amazing for their price and can't be beaten even headphones up to $200. Gaming companies that makes keyboards or mice shouldn't be making audio stuff. You want audio, buy something from an audio brand or a headphone you know is good coming from an audio brand to begin with. 

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

5 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

I mean you're entitled to your own opinion but... uhh... I don't agree with what you're saying, on multiple fronts. 

Take a look at someone like Z reviews who knows his audio stuff and watch his video about the MH752's.

I wouldn't recommend watching z reviews for a multitude of reasons for anything other than entertainment, some information (that'll need to be fact checked), and to find new gear. I don't take a good amount of his recommendations seriously, and at the very minimum I advise people to not just go completely off of what z reviews says, and to do their research (and demo the gear if possible). 

They are truly amazing for their price and can't be beaten even headphones up to $200.

The headphones are based on the Takstar 82 pros. They're not what gets recommended to people for budgets at or under $200, even for people looking at closed backs, because honestly, It's not that hard to beat them. They're just good in terms of gaming headsets. 

Gaming companies that makes keyboards or mice shouldn't be making audio stuff. You want audio, buy something from an audio brand or a headphone you know is good coming from an audio brand to begin with. 

Yeah, I can get behind that. There's nothing that makes an audio product that has been put out by a "gaming company" inherently superior to anything else. 

12 hours ago, Firecroll said:

- As was previously stated, 7.1 is a gimmick, I wouldn't worry about if your headphone has it in the slightest. Good stereo headphones will outperform "surround sound/7.1" headphones by a mile, usually because the only companies that brand their headphones as having those "features' generally put out fairly bad products. 

- Wireless headphones- Well, if you're looking for sound/mic quality, wireless just isn't there yet. There's plenty of wireless headphones/headsets to choose from sure, but nothing really worth recommending under $200. 

-Wired headphones: All of those are okay (some better than others), but 100% I'd recommend the Koss GMR 545 air (if you don't mind an open-back headset, which lets sound leak out and sound leak in, in exchange for some nice benefits- the specifics of which depend on the headset), or the GMR 540 ISO if you want an enclosed experience with no sound leakage because your headphones literally have holes in them, kek. Either way great headsets, they blow most things out of the water. The sennhesier pc38x is also a decent recommendation, however It's quite a bit more expensive then the koss headsets and I doubt shipping to your location is going to be pretty for these.  I have other recommendations for you based on your budget, and what you really want in a headset (Do you want it to be made with certain materials, or look a certain way, do you really need an inbuilt mic, and if so does it need to look like a classic "gamer" headset mic, ect.)

Now, It'd be nice to maybe have a budget, and maybe a list of priorities (what you care about the most/least). What you seem to want in a headset can be done by... most headphones by major brands out there. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

9 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

You brung up some Cooler Master headphones except for the best one, the MH752's.

Yeah i looked for them but couldnt find them here and i wont import anything because it will make them a lot more expensive. Also looked for the 751 version but same thing.

11 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Firstly, you can just forget 7.1. Take that out of the picture. It's the stupidest marketing trick any gaming company can pull on you. What you want to look at are some good stereo headphones with a seperate mic that can be used with the headphone or research deeper into headphones and see which one's are actually good.

In case i use a seperate mic what would you recomment me, ill do some research about it but that would mean spending more money if i buy headphones and a seperate mic or would be almost the same?

4 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

- As was previously stated, 7.1 is a gimmick, I wouldn't worry about if your headphone has it in the slightest. Good stereo headphones will outperform "surround sound/7.1" headphones by a mile, usually because the only companies that brand their headphones as having those "features' generally put out fairly bad products. 

As long as i can differ foot steps or noise direction in general in shooters im ok, i even tend to turn off 7.1 when listening to music on my Corsair 2100. So if a good stereo can give me that direction and distance my corsair gives me on shooters im fine with it.

4 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

-Wired headphones: All of those are okay (some better than others), but 100% I'd recommend the Koss GMR 545 air (if you don't mind an open-back headset, which lets sound leak out and sound leak in, in exchange for some nice benefits- the specifics of which depend on the headset), or the GMR 540 ISO if you want an enclosed experience with no sound leakage because your headphones literally have holes in them, kek. Either way great headsets, they blow most things out of the water. The sennhesier pc38x is also a decent recommendation, however It's quite a bit more expensive then the koss headsets and I doubt shipping to your location is going to be pretty for these.  I have other recommendations for you based on your budget, and what you really want in a headset (Do you want it to be made with certain materials, or look a certain way, do you really need an inbuilt mic, and if so does it need to look like a classic "gamer" headset mic, ect.)

I looked for the Koss headsets but i dont like it has a seperate headband, if that breaks i have no way to replace it or fix it here. I have my corsair since 2010 or 2012 i think and when the pad on the top worn off i just fixed it by doing my own pad. But in this case if that band breaks im screwed, i also read that if you have a large head you cant stretch that band too much so the ear pads stay on top of your auricular lobule instead of around which ends up hurting you. (at least that what i heard from a review)

In case you have that headset for many years and the headband is still intact then i could also buy that one, it seems i can get it here. (does the headset cable tangles over the years?)

5 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Now, It'd be nice to maybe have a budget, and maybe a list of priorities (what you care about the most/least). What you seem to want in a headset can be done by... most headphones by major brands out there. 

As for what im looking for on a headset is just decent audio so that i can discern footsteps and distance on shooter and a decent mic so that my teammates dont hear my background (i dont use mechanical keyboard but i hate push to talk). I know i use too much my Corsair as a comparison even though is not that good but its to give an idea of what works for me right now and it lasted for many many years, i dont want something that i'll have to change in 3 or 4 years.

My budget could go around the price of the Xyperx Cloud II wireless i think its around 175.

Thats why o looked for the Xyperx Cloud II wireless because it seems that it has better sound quality but is the most similar to my current headset.

Thanks for spending time reading this post, really helps a lot i know too little about audio.

11 minutes ago, Firecroll said:

The design is fairly tried and true, koss makes a multitide of products with this similar design, all of them have pretty generous warranties and are designed to last for years- seriously. I personally do not have them, but I can put you in touch with those that have, as well as people that have had similar headsets made by koss. I know several people that have had things like the koss porta pros or the kph30i's (iirc the gmr545 air is just a beefed-up kph30i.), so that's an option if you need it.

And even if that doesn't convince you... well provided it's not your fault, Koss literally has a lifetime warranty on all components of the headset, so if it breaks and it's not your fault, get in touch with a local koss dealer (usually any shop that sells koss products, or if you buy it through amazon probably there), and they'll give you more information from there, most likely you'll get your product fixed or replaced, it may have to be shipped and if so you pay... like... $10 USD in shipping I want to say? 

If the headphone doesn't fit, I mean amazon, some major retailers, and koss offer free returns, it should be okay. 

Finally, about quality/replacing a headset- Well I can't guarantee everything, but like I said- tried and true, Koss doesn't mess around. The gmr 545 air/540 iso are seriously good headsets, and even if they break in say, 1/2 the time of a hyperx cloud II wireless, you're getting a better experience, and you're saving money (In the US at least, as these are between $50-$75 USD)

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Seems that i cant get any Koss product here, and shipping it from another country makes no sense because it will be almost double the price. So ill have to go for Hyperx or Cooler Master though ill try to research a little but more about a good stereo instead of 7.1 ones before deciding myself.

Thanks both of you for the help =)