Artifacting on Laptop Display Post GPU Driver Update

Argentum
Go to solution Solved by da na,
18 minutes ago, Argentum said:

Will do, I'll try downgrading the drivers for now. In case the drivers don't fix it, what should I look for when opening it up? You mentioned there likely isn't a display cable so would it be a ribbon cable of sorts that would be loose?

I'd recommend taking it to a reputable repair shop as laptops can be pretty difficult to service, and if you accidentally break something else inside the laptop while fixing the display that could lead to lots of other problems. But if you feel confident doing it yourself, here's my MS Paint laptop service guide.

Well, check the connection going to the display, it'll be from the bottom of the screen to the display:

image.thumb.png.c30965d438891617ed7661784c1175ed.png

Check all 4 (maybe more for your device) ribbon cable connections. Each of the listed areas down below has 2.

When you disassemble the screen, in the red circled area there is what's called an inverter board, which has ribbon cables coming from it and going to it. It'll be pretty obvious. The ribbon cables go to either of the blue circled areas, different laptops have the connector in different places. That's what delivers video signal to the screen, and may be what causes your problem. (There are also red/white or red/black cables going from the inverter to the screen, those provide power to the backlight and don't need to be touched in this situation.)

The green circled area is where the ribbon cable usually goes into the inverter, it's not straight from the GPU but rather usually on the edge of the motherboard. (I say usually since every laptop is a bit different.) It's most likely not your issue, but I'd check anyway.

I am using a gaming laptop with a 1070 and updated its driver through Geforce Experience from 466.11 to 466.77 today. After restarting it, the right side of the display exhibits artifacting as shown in the attached image. The steps I have taken so far are pulling drivers from Nvidia's website and using the clean installation option in the wizard - no change here, checked if my GPU was dying with the Furmark stress test - no issues, and of course multiple restarts of the computer. I have a secondary display hooked up to the GPU's HDMI out and it is working normally without any artifacting. My uneducated guess is that the connection from the GPU to the laptop display came loose somehow. Looking for any advice on what steps I could take from here; I would like to confirm the issue before having to open up the chassis as I don't have a backup system and am quite inexperienced with it.

System Details:

Current GPU Driver Version: 466.77 (27.21.14.6677)

OS: Windows 10 Home 64 - Version 2004 - Build 19041.985

Notebook Model: OMEN by HP - 17-w242tx

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Storage: 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA, 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Display: 17.3" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)

20210611_175449.jpg

1 hour ago, Argentum said:

I am using a gaming laptop with a 1070 and updated its driver through Geforce Experience from 466.11 to 466.77 today. After restarting it, the right side of the display exhibits artifacting as shown in the attached image. The steps I have taken so far are pulling drivers from Nvidia's website and using the clean installation option in the wizard - no change here, checked if my GPU was dying with the Furmark stress test - no issues, and of course multiple restarts of the computer. I have a secondary display hooked up to the GPU's HDMI out and it is working normally without any artifacting. My uneducated guess is that the connection from the GPU to the laptop display came loose somehow. Looking for any advice on what steps I could take from here; I would like to confirm the issue before having to open up the chassis as I don't have a backup system and am quite inexperienced with it.

System Details:

Current GPU Driver Version: 466.77 (27.21.14.6677)

OS: Windows 10 Home 64 - Version 2004 - Build 19041.985

Notebook Model: OMEN by HP - 17-w242tx

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Storage: 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA, 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Display: 17.3" diagonal UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)

20210611_175449.jpg

your guess was right , the diplay cable coming from the gpu could be damged or disconnected , i dont work on laptops but im pretty sure thats what it is , take the back panel off and locate the display cable , if it is disconnected reconnect it , if it is broken then buy one from a microcenter , or on amazon.

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

14 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

your guess was right , the diplay cable coming from the gpu could be damged or disconnected , i dont work on laptops but im pretty sure thats what it is , take the back panel off and locate the display cable , if it is disconnected reconnect it , if it is broken then buy one from a microcenter , or on amazon.

Well... I work on laptops, and most laptops don't have a display cable, many laptop GPUs just pass through the motherboard and go straight to the screen. Some older mxm modules are a bit different, but a 1070 this shouldn't be the issue.

Artifacting like that could be the fault of a loose connection, yes, but it could also be the drivers. OP, you said this only happened after driver update? Try downgrading your drivers, then open it up if that doesn't fix it.

49 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well... I work on laptops, and most laptops don't have a display cable, many laptop GPUs just pass through the motherboard and go straight to the screen. Some older mxm modules are a bit different, but a 1070 this shouldn't be the issue.

Artifacting like that could be the fault of a loose connection, yes, but it could also be the drivers. OP, you said this only happened after driver update? Try downgrading your drivers, then open it up if that doesn't fix it.

Will do, I'll try downgrading the drivers for now. In case the drivers don't fix it, what should I look for when opening it up? You mentioned there likely isn't a display cable so would it be a ribbon cable of sorts that would be loose?

18 minutes ago, Argentum said:

I'd recommend taking it to a reputable repair shop as laptops can be pretty difficult to service, and if you accidentally break something else inside the laptop while fixing the display that could lead to lots of other problems. But if you feel confident doing it yourself, here's my MS Paint laptop service guide.

Well, check the connection going to the display, it'll be from the bottom of the screen to the display:

image.thumb.png.c30965d438891617ed7661784c1175ed.png

Check all 4 (maybe more for your device) ribbon cable connections. Each of the listed areas down below has 2.

When you disassemble the screen, in the red circled area there is what's called an inverter board, which has ribbon cables coming from it and going to it. It'll be pretty obvious. The ribbon cables go to either of the blue circled areas, different laptops have the connector in different places. That's what delivers video signal to the screen, and may be what causes your problem. (There are also red/white or red/black cables going from the inverter to the screen, those provide power to the backlight and don't need to be touched in this situation.)

The green circled area is where the ribbon cable usually goes into the inverter, it's not straight from the GPU but rather usually on the edge of the motherboard. (I say usually since every laptop is a bit different.) It's most likely not your issue, but I'd check anyway.

20 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

-snip-

I think I'll take your advice and bring it to a repair shop. This model seems to be hard to get into and the last thing I want to do in the middle of a GPU shortage is kill a perfectly fine 1070. Thanks for your help, it's been really insightful.