DNS server not responding

Genezi1

Hello guys. I have an issue with my WI fi on my laptop. It connects to the network, but shows that it does not have internet. After the troubleshooting it said that my computer is configured correctly, but the device or resource is not responding. I tried everything that I have found on internet. Typing CMD commands, changing ipv4 and 6,unchexking proxy, disabling the ability to wake up the computer, uninstalling and installing new drivers, resetting the router, updating the windows, uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter. Nothing of the mentioned worked. I am connected to the same network with my phone and I don't have any issues. Please help me. Thanks!

Going by your title, I assume your PC either does not have a DNS server configured or the IP address is not correct for some reason.

If you go to Network & Internet settings > View hardware and connection properties, there should be an entry that says "DNS Servers". Which IP address(es) are shown there?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

26 minutes ago, Genezi1 said:

This is what it shows

When I try to use either of those, I run into a timeout.

nslookup google.com 85.130.60.11
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Now, it is possible that those are DNS servers provided by your ISP and that they only work on your ISP's network. Which means I can never use/reach them. But since you're also having issues, it's possible that this is the cause. If I use Google's DNS server instead, this is the response I see:

nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8

Server:        8.8.8.8
Address:    8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Address: 142.250.186.174
Name:    google.com
Address: 2a00:1450:4001:828::200e

This is the kind of response you'd expect. It connects to the DNS server (with IP 8.8.8.8) and returns a resolved IP address for the host name "google.com". This is what's needed for you to be able to type "google.com" into your browser and your browser to be able to connect to that site (by resolving the name to an IP, which is what a DNS server does).

Since you're using a DHCP server (likely the router from your ISP) the best option would probably be to reconfigure this router to use other IP addresses for the DNS servers. There's a bunch of DNS providers to chose from, but a few more well known are:

1.1.1.1 (by Cloudflare)

8.8.8.8 (by Google)

8.8.4.4 (by Google)

9.9.9.9 (by Quad9)

Alternatively you can reconfigure just your computer by going into the settings of your network card to change the DNS server IP to one of these, but on a network with a DHCP it's usually better to update the DHCP's configuration instead, so all computers (and phones) on the network get the same configuration.

@Eigenvektor thank you very much for your help. It magically started to work with me doing nothing about it. I contacted my internet provider and they said that they had more than 20 calls about the issue, so maybe it is something on their side. Thank you again for your time and help. Take care 🙂

5 minutes ago, Genezi1 said:

@Eigenvektor thank you very much for your help. It magically started to work with me doing nothing about it. I contacted my internet provider and they said that they had more than 20 calls about the issue, so maybe it is something on their side. Thank you again for your time and help. Take care 🙂

Yup, probably had an outage in their DNS servers . Just keep this link handy in case it happens again 😉