Model M Value?

Manos
Go to solution Solved by Admiral Shark,
On 6/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

@SharktasticAdo your thing

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

On 6/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, Manos said:

Hello Guys

I found this IBM model M in my friends werehouse and his thinking to sell it is there any  guide to determine its value?

The label in the back is different from the examples that i have found in the internet and also it has greek charachters in keycaps how much this will effect it?

Thanks for any help 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, typical going rate is indeed $70-100 in the US for a period Model M (in Europe, likely a higher value regardless of EUR or GBP conversion). It's from the period that sits in between the first Model Ms with silver-square badges (called Gen 0 and 1) and later ones from Lexmark with blue-oval badges (Gen 3 and 4) and self-branded Unicomps (Gen 4 with some modifications). Hence, it's an attractive purchase but on its own not worth 100+ like the very early XT/AT Model Ms, in my opinion. As @kelvinhall05 said though, the Greek keycaps will increase its value. Not just for Greek typists, but many keyboard enthusiasts value having interesting (relative to plain English) text and symbols on their keycaps.

To be honest though, I don't see Greek-langauge Model Ms selling often thus I can't give you a going rate. But, it's probably north of the quote I gave you. By how much? I'm not sure. Good luck!

Hello Guys

I found this IBM model M in my friends werehouse and his thinking to sell it is there any  guide to determine its value?

The label in the back is different from the examples that i have found in the internet and also it has greek charachters in keycaps how much this will effect it?

Thanks for any help 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Xaring said:

Greek caps are worth a lot iirc

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 6/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

On 6/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, Manos said:

Hello Guys

Thanks for any help 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, typical going rate is indeed $70-100 in the US for a period Model M (in Europe, likely a higher value regardless of EUR or GBP conversion). It's from the period that sits in between the first Model Ms with silver-square badges (called Gen 0 and 1) and later ones from Lexmark with blue-oval badges (Gen 3 and 4) and self-branded Unicomps (Gen 4 with some modifications). Hence, it's an attractive purchase but on its own not worth 100+ like the very early XT/AT Model Ms, in my opinion. As @kelvinhall05 said though, the Greek keycaps will increase its value. Not just for Greek typists, but many keyboard enthusiasts value having interesting (relative to plain English) text and symbols on their keycaps.

To be honest though, I don't see Greek-langauge Model Ms selling often thus I can't give you a going rate. But, it's probably north of the quote I gave you. By how much? I'm not sure. Good luck!

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.