1080ti thermal pad required for empty VRAM slot?

ShadyBeings

I'm using a Titan X pascal waterblock to watercool my 1080ti because there are no better fitting waterblocks available for an SC2 Gaming. Titans came with 12GBs of VRAM where the 1080ti only got 11GB so there's an empty slot where one of the VRAM chips should go. When I did the teardown there was a double stacked thermal pad specifically on that slot but my waterblock does not come with that since its not designed for that. Is there any reason for me to worry about it?

I assume not because that spot shouldn't be producing heat but I just want to make sure

Is there a RAM chip on the side opposite the double stacked thermal pad?

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is there a RAM chip on the side opposite the double stacked thermal pad?

No there's nothing literally just the pins to connect the chip.

I know its old news but this makes the 11GB fiasco seem even worse, there was no design issue they just didn't put it in lmao

I meant opposite side of the PCB, but yeah. Pads can be used to sink heat from the back of RAM chips though the PCB/solder pads since the RAM sits closer to the PCB than the epoxy package top.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I meant opposite side of the PCB, but yeah. Pads can be used to sink heat from the back of RAM chips though the PCB/solder pads since the RAM sits closer to the PCB than the epoxy package top.

Yeah other side is empty. I'm sure they had their reason for having the pad in there but I don't care that much

13 minutes ago, ShadyBeings said:

Yeah other side is empty. I'm sure they had their reason for having the pad in there but I don't care that much

Might have been for...??? PROFIT! I was guessing maybe to prevent a hot area on the PCB.