What would be most important for a home Minecraft server

I'm thinking of making a Minecraft server for my friends. I don't expect to have anything over about 30 people occupying the server and I have no idea where I should start or what a reasonable budget would be. I saw Linus' video on a Minecraft server but I don't want to water-cool (duh) and I don't want more than one server. I also don't own a server rack and was wondering if I need to use a server drawer or if I could just use a normal computer chassis? Thanks!

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

Lot of RAM, lot of storage, and the fastest single-core performance you can fit in your budget. Clockspeed is king; if you can be stable at 5GHz or higher, that's perfect.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

depends if modded and such

definitely CPU clock speed and RAM, lots of RAM

and i experience needing up to 20mbps upload sustained at one point, so definitely look into that

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Ran modded servers, itll need significantly more ram but CPU demand stays the same. Get the fastest CPU in clock and IPC that you can in your budget and if possible overclock that bitch to hell and back.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

47 minutes ago, BeastyB314 said:

I'm thinking of making a Minecraft server for my friends. I don't expect to have anything over about 30 people occupying the server and I have no idea where I should start or what a reasonable budget would be. I saw Linus' video on a Minecraft server but I don't want to water-cool (duh) and I don't want more than one server. I also don't own a server rack and was wondering if I need to use a server drawer or if I could just use a normal computer chassis? Thanks!

It will be much more economical to get some VPS hosting

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

definitely CPU clock speed and RAM, lots of RAM

and i experience needing up to 20mbps upload sustained at one point, so definitely look into that

How much ram do you think I would need? I have about 8gb now but I have room to upgrade. Also any CPU recomendations? BTW it will most likely not be modded.

1 minute ago, BeastyB314 said:

How much ram do you think I would need? I have about 8gb now but I have room to upgrade. Also any CPU recomendations? BTW it will most likely not be modded.

I had issue with 16gb RAM, though I only hosted modded servers before, and only for up to 6 people, upgrading to 32gb does alleviate some of the issues, but I'm still bottlenecked by my 3900x, I suppose

As for cpu, the one that comes to mind would be a 11400f, if you're not overclocking

Or perhaps a 5600x, or 11/10600K

Though I'm not very experienced with it and may be doing something wrong, so maybe wait for other's insights

49 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I had issue with 16gb RAM, though I only hosted modded servers before, and only for up to 6 people, upgrading to 32gb does alleviate some of the issues, but I'm still bottlenecked by my 3900x, I suppose

As for cpu, the one that comes to mind would be a 11400f, if you're not overclocking

Or perhaps a 5600x, or 11/10600K

Though I'm not very experienced with it and may be doing something wrong, so maybe wait for other's insights

Do motherboards really matter for servers? I'm gonna try to find at least 4 memory slots to fit 16-32 gigs of memory. Also I'd prefer integrated graphics because of the shortage.

I looked at the Minecraft wiki and it has very broad descriptions. It also recommends 8 gigs of ram which I also think is low.

8 hours ago, BeastyB314 said:

Do motherboards really matter for servers? I'm gonna try to find at least 4 memory slots to fit 16-32 gigs of memory. Also I'd prefer integrated graphics because of the shortage.

I looked at the Minecraft wiki and it has very broad descriptions. It also recommends 8 gigs of ram which I also think is low.

Just get a decent board with decent VRM

If you want graphics than 11400 non-F seems decent