Please Help!!! Laptop shuts down without warning!!!

AnirbanG007

Aight, so here's the thing, whenever I run my laptop on battery, and I try to move it around a bit, it restarts automatically without warning. It even happens sometimes when the laptop is stationary.

Before I proceed any further, the battery is HP ay-516tx, and the battery can be connected without tearing apart the laptop.

Now, what do I do? Is this a problem with the battery connectors, or are the connector pins on the laptop damaged or have oxides formed on them? Will it go away if I replace the battery? Because when the battery works fine, it works fine, It charges and discharges normally, although it's been 5 years, so the capacity has reduced accordingly.

Please help me out with this. I have frequent power cuts, and I have urgent training everyday, I'm tight on money, and I'd have to buy a battery ASAP if push comes to shove. Thank you.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Here's a good way to determine if the issue is with your battery;

Unplug it and set aside, then connect your power cable and boot the laptop that way.

If it doesn't shut down with straight power, then the issue is with your battery and/or battery contacts.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

1 hour ago, Tech87 said:

Here's a good way to determine if the issue is with your battery;

Unplug it and set aside, then connect your power cable and boot the laptop that way.

If it doesn't shut down with straight power, then the issue is with your battery and/or battery contacts.

Thank you replying. Yes, I've already done that. No issues when running on power. Only on battery. So should I replace the battery? Could it be a problem with the contacts on the laptop? Could the contacts be repaired with vinegar or something?

14 hours ago, Tech87 said:

Does the battery show that it's getting a charge?

If it's draining super fast, or not getting a sufficient charge, replace it.

Yeah, it behaves quite normally except for the "loose connection". It charges and discharges quite normally.

This might happen when your laptop is not detecting your battery. In this scenario, it is likely to power off your laptop without giving any warning instead of shutdown. If your laptop is shutting down without any warning, make sure the battery notification is ON in the power settings. You can also change the action that is being done when the battery level reaches a low level. Make sure to set the correct low and critical battery level and its notification is turned ON to notify you through a warning message. See this article to set the battery level and warning notification: https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-change-low-battery-warning-settings-windows-10/

See this screenshot:

tQwzNoX[1].png

8 hours ago, Nishant Kumar said:

This might happen when your laptop is not detecting your battery. In this scenario, it is likely to power off your laptop without giving any warning instead of shutdown. If your laptop is shutting down without any warning, make sure the battery notification is ON in the power settings. You can also change the action that is being done when the battery level reaches a low level. Make sure to set the correct low and critical battery level and its notification is turned ON to notify you through a warning message. See this article to set the battery level and warning notification: https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-change-low-battery-warning-settings-windows-10/

See this screenshot:

tQwzNoX[1].png

Thanks for the reply, this is already set to 10%, and I have no issues with the battery unless when my laptop shuts down weirdly.

4 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Thanks for the reply, this is already set to 10%, and I have no issues with the battery unless when my laptop shuts down weirdly.

Most likely the notification is ON, right? See the following screenshot:

batterynotification.png.1f80edb2de7a8145f0f727cc923bba57.png

Also make sure to critical battery level action is set to sleep instead of shutdown and low battery level action set to "do nothing", see the below given screenshot:

batteryaction.png.e94a325dba323fa3ba8df1ba74ce89dc.png

If all the settings are OK, then make sure the battery icon is properly shown in the system tray. If this doesn't show then go to your device manager and click on the icon "scan for new hardware", after that your battery icon will be shown in the system tray.

Keep me updated.

Make sure the Low battery notification is turned ON as well. See the below screenshot:

lbn.png.4c626e69805064484ee1d4f4fcfe539f.png

8 hours ago, Nishant Kumar said:

Make sure the Low battery notification is turned ON as well. See the below screenshot:

lbn.png.4c626e69805064484ee1d4f4fcfe539f.png

So I followed everything you said, the low battery notification is on for both cases, and the action to be taken on low battery is hibernate. I changed it to sleep. And yes, the battery does show up in the task bar properly all the time. Everything checks out properly.

One correction I have to make, it doesn't shut down weirdly, it restarts without warning.