Chromebook

Go to solution Solved by Peestain37,

A chrome book is the sh*t a real laptop took & prolly can’t run Minecraft on it. If it’s ur only option then I guess go for it but a used prebuilt maybe more worth it but it isn’t portable. U can also get a used laptop that u can prolly upgrade a bit for the same price & have it be better than a chrome book

So I am going to be buy a chromebook from my friend for $70 and would like to know what things it can do other than basic use like browsing and documents. Can it run Minecraft? Or Roblox? If so what FPS am I looking at and will it suffice as a decent laptop for these games to take to friends places and on the go.

thanks

its around 1 year old

Edited by RandomChild

I'm Just some kid who likes Computer's and Programming.

A chrome book is the sh*t a real laptop took & prolly can’t run Minecraft on it. If it’s ur only option then I guess go for it but a used prebuilt maybe more worth it but it isn’t portable. U can also get a used laptop that u can prolly upgrade a bit for the same price & have it be better than a chrome book

29 minutes ago, RandomChild said:

So I am going to be buy a chromebook from my friend for $70 and would like to know what things it can do other than basic use like browsing and documents. Can it run Minecraft? Or Roblox? If so what FPS am I looking at and will it suffice as a decent laptop for these games to take to friends places and on the go.

thanks

its around 1 year old

The cheapest Chromebooks can't really do much apart from browsing. You'd want something midrange if you want to play any games on it. I've got an HP Chromebook 14 G5 with 8GB RAM, Celeron N3450 and 64GB storage. It runs OK but 3D games are a little harder. The Elder Scrolls Legends card game runs just fine though, haven't tried Minecraft. Chromebooks aren't meant for gaming, so don't expect 60fps from a 70 USD machine.

you should provide a model number and ideally hardware ID or at least storage, RAM, and CPU specs if you want us to tell you if it's shit or better shit

while you can may be able run Minecraft or other Linux/windows programs if you do some...rigging, if it is possible at all remains to be seen, not to mention the likely horrible performance (ChromeOS does have a thing to run Linux programs now, but it is in beta and may not work well, I have not tested it though)

for example if it has an ARM or AMD CPU, firmware support for legacy BIOS or UEFI booting is either non-existent or not great. in addition, trying to run Windows or dual boot with low storage may be a huge pain in the ass

here is a helpful resource for determining if the device firmware supports other OSes https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility (yes, I know this is for GalliumOS but it is fine for seeing firmware compatibility)

some more random things you may want to look through:

https://mrchromebox.tech/#faq - see rest of site, too

https://chrx.org/ - nice for dual booting, I used it on my ChromeBox that has reached EoL in terms of ChromeOS support 

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh