Memory Question / Quad Channel

Go to solution Solved by ramava,

Yes. It's kinda like dual channel and performs better with all 4 filled. Delaying for budget reasons with the intent to do it when you can should be just fine though, especially if you're going to be needing large capacity sticks and don't want to replace all of them when you are able to upgrade.

I curbed my gaming pc build in favor of a workstation hybrid build as it economically made more sense after some deliberation. My question is regarding how I intend to build up to a finished product. Is there any issues with buying memory in pairs over time, or should I buy 4 sticks at a time to utilize quad channel? I plan on grabbing some 2x32GB sticks that I found for a good price, but would likely pick up the other sets later as my budget is currently strained.

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that quad channel is similar to dual channel, in that it's better to populate 4 in quad than it would be to populate 2 in quad, similarly to dual channel where 2 sticks is much better than 1? This is my first time working with quad channel and I want to make sure I'm doing it optimally. 

Side Note: This machine would likely fully use these capacities between work, gaming and server hosting, hence the choice of 32GB sticks instead of 16GB sticks. 

Threadripper 3960X, Asus ROG Strix TRX40-XE MOBO.

Yes. It's kinda like dual channel and performs better with all 4 filled. Delaying for budget reasons with the intent to do it when you can should be just fine though, especially if you're going to be needing large capacity sticks and don't want to replace all of them when you are able to upgrade.

1 minute ago, ramava said:

I figured as much, and yeah it would likely be a couple weeks to a month later anyway

Quad channel works pretty much like dual channel on consumer platforms, but the performance hit is not nearly as large - I wouldn't worry about living with dual channel for budget/upgrade reasons for a bit.