i7 vs i9 Temps

I have a laptop with an i7 7700hq paired with a 1050 Ti and a desktop with an i9 9900k paired with the dual fan 1050 Ti OC. I'm curious of the temps because the laptop runs at a constant 55-65 degrees C (air cooled by dell stock fans) while the i9 runs at a constant 25-35 degrees C (water cooled by Kraken z63). I was wondering if the AIO actually doing that much of a difference that a stronger CPU is really running at temps that low while air cooling is running at those temps. I know both are well under the 100C they're rated at for being safe, but what got me thinking about this was that the laptop's fan kick on randomly while I'm trying to record audio. I've had it since 2017 and I don't rmember the starting temps it used to be at so should I reapply thermal paste to it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

These are idle temps right?

Laptops want to spin their fan as little as possible and just simply run hotter due to being in a small enclosed case. The i9 is getting cooled by a massive heatsink so yeah of course it will run cooler.

If it is running the fan more that means it might need to be blown out for dust and/or the thermal paste should need to be replaced since it is 4 years old.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:27 AM, jaslion said:

These are idle temps right?

Laptops want to spin their fan as little as possible and just simply run hotter due to being in a small enclosed case. The i9 is getting cooled by a massive heatsink so yeah of course it will run cooler.

If it is running the fan more that means it might need to be blown out for dust and/or the thermal paste should need to be replaced since it is 4 years old.

I was thinking I should redo the paste and I think I'm going to go ahead and do it in the next few days. I mean, it's not like it'll be melting itself tomorrow or anything, but I've retired it from making videos so it's strictly weekend gaming so I have a little bit. Thank you for your answer. I know this was mostly an obvious thing, but I just like talking about this sort of thing and collecting as much knowledge as I can.

3 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

I was thinking I should redo the paste and I think I'm going to go ahead and do it in the next few days. I mean, it's not like it'll be melting itself tomorrow or anything, but I've retired it from making videos so it's strictly weekend gaming so I have a little bit. Thank you for your answer. I know this was mostly an obvious thing, but I just like talking about this sort of thing and collecting as much knowledge as I can.

The comparison was basically apples to a fishstick :p.

Also to add on. Watercooling is not something magically better. It is just a different way of conducting heat to the cooling element. So also don't be fooled by believe a aio is always better than an air cooler. It really just comes down to the thermal load and how much the heatsink can handle.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:59 AM, jaslion said:

The comparison was basically apples to a fishstick :p.

Also to add on. Watercooling is not something magically better. It is just a different way of conducting heat to the cooling element. So also don't be fooled by believe a aio is always better than an air cooler. It really just comes down to the thermal load and how much the heatsink can handle.

I understand, in some cases, air cooling can be more effective, but I just couldn't tell you cases where it would be. In this case though, it's night and day. In the case of watercooled graphics cards though, I have no idea. Some of the designs to me look highly unsafe.

1 hour ago, Selestialnorre said:

I understand, in some cases, air cooling can be more effective, but I just couldn't tell you cases where it would be. In this case though, it's night and day. In the case of watercooled graphics cards though, I have no idea. Some of the designs to me look highly unsafe.

I'm talking in general here a noctua nhd15 basically beats out almost all coolers on the market be it air, aio water or something odd. Exotic loops do tend to beat it because they can simply be far larger than the aio's it competes against or well larger than itself.

Desktop and laptop thermals aren't really comparable.

Usually at load laptops are always teetering on the edge of thermal throttling, and they have built in firmware limitations for aggressive throttling.

Desktops are less constrained and will often go as far as cooling allows. At least much longer than laptops will.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

I'm talking in general here a noctua nhd15 basically beats out almost all coolers on the market be it air, aio water or something odd. Exotic loops do tend to beat it because they can simply be far larger than the aio's it competes against or well larger than itself.

From personal experience, with a very high thermal density chip like a 10 core monolithic Intel or maybe a single ccd and chip, a liquid cooler with a big aio will fare better than big air.

The liquid cooler will take a while to soak up heat before the fans go insane vs the air having to ramp up immediately to manage dissipation.

While overall temps might not be that much better (I still saw a 5c+ difference at load over big air), your user experience will actually be much more pleasant due to less seesawing fan noise to deal with burst heat

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x