Water-Cooling Old Cards to Make Them Last - Who Knows When I Can Afford a New One! GTX 1060 6GB

So, I was worried about doing this, the Kraken G12 is a mounting bracket that will take certain fitting CPU AIOs (mostly NZXT branded ones) and fit it to your GPU card so you can water-cool it.

I'm sure most members of this forum have heard about it, but I couldn't find anyone who had actually water cooled an old mid-tier card like the GTX 1060 6GB (mine was like the stock one that came with an OptiPlex or something - Dell 2FNM3)

I think it would be cool if LTT did a video where they take cards like this one and show its possible to water-cool it easily and relatively cheaply, I did mine for less than a $100 USD, because I went used on the AIO.

I normally wouldn't do this but 1060s right now are going over $400 USD USED! I needed a way to get even more life out of this already old card, because I don't know when I will be able to afford a new one.2.thumb.jpg.2b31a868abafa358c4e641447fdbd437.jpg   

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The highest I've seen the temps got to is 44 Degrees C but mostly around 40, the AOI I used was the X61

Wow your case is really throwing me off here. Motherboard mounts sideways? Anyway, I'd watch a video about that, it could be interesting or helpful. I only heard about these things a couple days ago. I, too, have a 1060 that's being stretched to it's limit, so I'm curious: have you tried overclocking with this? I'm not sure that I see the point if you don't get extra performance. 

44 minutes ago, greenlotad said:

Wow your case is really throwing me off here. Motherboard mounts sideways? Anyway, I'd watch a video about that, it could be interesting or helpful. I only heard about these things a couple days ago. I, too, have a 1060 that's being stretched to it's limit, so I'm curious: have you tried overclocking with this? I'm not sure that I see the point if you don't get extra performance. 

Oh Yeah, I don't even see a difference when I max it out it afterburner, I don't know if there is a way to get it past 2000 MHz, but that's where I land on afterburner and I add like +125/+150 on the memory speed, and max out the voltage, I validate it with rivaTuner's overlay in game, and there is no difference in Temps, sub 40 for first 20 mins 40 for the next hour then 44 at peak (for me like 3 hrs) 

I was getting horrible temps before like 85 Degrees after approximately an hour, mostly dude to poor airflow and that garbage heatsink and fan system, just chugged with thick dust, despite blowing it out multiple times.

P.S. I always wanted a case like this, because I hate going to the back to plug and unplug stuff from the IO. Let me show you the top 😄  

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

3 hours ago, rorban said:

Oh Yeah, I don't even see a difference when I max it out it afterburner, I don't know if there is a way to get it past 2000 MHz, but that's where I land on afterburner and I add like +125/+150 on the memory speed, and max out the voltage, I validate it with rivaTuner's overlay in game, and there is no difference in Temps, sub 40 for first 20 mins 40 for the next hour then 44 at peak (for me like 3 hrs) 

I was getting horrible temps before like 85 Degrees after approximately an hour, mostly dude to poor airflow and that garbage heatsink and fan system, just chugged with thick dust, despite blowing it out multiple times.

P.S. I always wanted a case like this, because I hate going to the back to plug and unplug stuff from the IO. Let me show you the top 😄  

Oh wow, that's a huge difference in temps. Neat.