External GPU for a ROG G751JT Laptop

Hi,

I have a capable ROG G751JT that i purchased in 2015, with a Geforce gtx970m graphics card that has served me well for the many years I have had it.  It's has an intel i7-4720HQ @260GHZ processer, 32GB of RAM and a thunderbolt port that I assume is gen 1 (happy to be told otherwise, manual attached).

I use it for everything work, image processing, web work and gaming. I don't usually jump on the latest game but do game frequently.   I recently bought assassins creed Valhalla and was amazed how low the graphics had to be and the amount of frame rate drop was in complex scenes, its playable but not great.

My question is would an external GPU set up be of any benefit for me.  I have looked and have an idea it would but wanted to ask the masses if I would be wasting my money and should just get a new desktop to game on.  Any specs and ideas about an external appreciated! 

Hope you can help,

Dan

0409_E9959_A.pdf

It has thunderbolt gen 2. Which to be honest just ins't good enough to really allow a better card than the 970m you have perform well. Sure you can drop a 3080 in there but it will at best perform like a 1060 IF even. From testing I could find of thunderbolt 2 it reaches a cap in performance for cards around the 1050 level which is basically what you have now.

I had a very similar laptop (just with a 6700hq) and it simply put is time for a replacement. It is a 6+ year old laptop by now and for a gaming laptop that is a LONG time. It just doesn't make sense to get a egpu with thunderbolt 2. That and egpu's even on thunderbolt 3 make little sense due to the huge cost. You can quite literally buy a better cheap gaming laptop for the price of a rx580 dock.

I would if you can get a prebuilt desktop. Building your own is hard right now due to crazy prices. Do make a topic about it then because a LOT and I do mean a LOT of prebuilts are utter crap. But there are a fair few good ones.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It has thunderbolt gen 2. Which to be honest just ins't good enough to really allow a better card than the 970m you have perform well. Sure you can drop a 3080 in there but it will at best perform like a 1060 IF even. From testing I could find of thunderbolt 2 it reaches a cap in performance for cards around the 1050 level which is basically what you have now.

I had a very similar laptop (just with a 6700hq) and it simply put is time for a replacement. It is a 6+ year old laptop by now and for a gaming laptop that is a LONG time. It just doesn't make sense to get a egpu with thunderbolt 2. That and egpu's even on thunderbolt 3 make little sense due to the huge cost. You can quite literally buy a better cheap gaming laptop for the price of a rx580 dock.

I would if you can get a prebuilt desktop. Building your own is hard right now due to crazy prices. Do make a topic about it then because a LOT and I do mean a LOT of prebuilts are utter crap. But there are a fair few good ones.

Thanks for the advice jaslion.  I think you may be right.