GPU Price hike

I have been keeping an eye out for a graphics card for my brothers PC i built him last year for UNI, amd3950, but we had to use his 1080 from a previous build. His Uni has advised his Games design class to get at least a rtx 3070. we want to get a 3080, but as you can imagine we cant even get a 3070.

SCAN is one of our main PC, components retailers in the UK. i noticed today they finally got some stock of the AMD6700XT. according to Anthony's review it isn't that good.

but what i found interesting, the original cost was about £400-500. but now it is selling at £700-800 MSRP. SCAN dose not do prices higher than MSRP, i also checked other companies i trust in the UK and found the same price hike. unlike CEX which resells products at which they have recently been selling at scalper prices on everything like gpus, new xbox, ps5 etc. (i have lost faith in that chain of store now and refuse to go there anymore, it use to be a great store to get cheap games etc. its one of our versions of GameStop)

I am now interested to see how much of a price hike NVIDIA will be charging for a RTX3080, they were about £700-800. Can i expect them to go up to about £1200 like a scalper.

We all knew their prices were going to go up but 50% extra is ridiculous. it would just mean scalpers could possible get even more money.

We look forward to trying again for the verified gamer program. though were concerned that we may have to save up till probably September if the prices will rise.

Noted the same myself. Overclockers listed the ASUS ROG Strix 3080 OC for £899 at release, it's now £1,239 and they still dont have stock. Scan has never listed the price.

Current PC: Intel i7 4790K, 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM, GTX 980 Ti, Corsair HX650W PSU, Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB, Seagate 2TB SSD...

New PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, [No card - want a 3080], Corsair RM850x PSU, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2, Seagate 2TB SSD...

Today (through a stock tracker) I got a notification about a bunch of 3080s put up on Novatech - I think they were listed for around £2,000 and I *still* saw them go from 'more than 10 in stock' to 'sold out' in under an hour. Perhaps it was one of the more expensive variants, but still...

The only place I'm aware of who have been selling 3080s at close to RRP are Currys (at least I believe so). After following a few stock-monitoring sites they seem to occasionally put up stock around 3-4am - but it has been later in the mornings too. This is only as frequent as once a fortnight but never with predictable regularity.

12 hours ago, SMLC88 said:

His Uni has advised his Games design class to get at least a rtx 3070.

So, they have zero idea what's going on with GPUS right now price and availability wise?  Will they assist him in buying him a scalped one for 4 times the MSRP? 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:35 AM, Triggeravus said:

So, they have zero idea what's going on with GPUS right now price and availability wise?  Will they assist him in buying him a scalped one for 4 times the MSRP? 

i Doubt it lol. his current pc is better that what they use in the uni class room, not that he's  been able to go in much. come's September lets see if they have upgraded.

he's done very well to budget what uni money he gets of the government and saved enough for one.  but may now have to save up even more.

If the 1080 is legitimately not enough for the coursework at hand, then you may have little option but to pay a scalper. 

I’d probably get in contact with the professor ASAP to get an idea of what to expect. Are they planning on trying ray tracing?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…