G-Sync vs. G-Sync Compatible actual difference

Oddvar Ashborn

Well hello there fellow gamers,

hope i've posted in the right section.

Since my monitor has been showing signs of clear death, i've been looking for something new to buy, but every time i look for the differences between the aforementioned subjects, i find something different, so i thought about using the collective knowledge of us all.

Here's what i've learned so far, and please do correct me if i'm wrong:

- Native G-Sync has an actual module installed in the monitor.

- Native G-Sync is rated between 1Hz and the monitor's max refresh rate.

- G-Sync Compatible is rated between 20/30/45/60Hz (it can vary) and the monitor's max refresh rate, so as long as you don't go lower than 20/30/45/60FPS, you have a tear-free experience.

- Native G-Sync means Nvidia performed over 300 tests on said monitor, compatible is "just" certified by Nvidia (don't know the actual difference)

- G-Sync Compatible monitors lacks ULMB (Ultra-Low Motion Blue)

- Native G-Sync has variable overdrive

Aaaaand i believe that's pretty much it. Are there any inaccuracies in my statements? Am i missing something?

Also, on the subject of variable overdrive, as i've understood it, it prevents ghosting when your framerate gets too low.  Considering that this is the monitor i was thinking about, would i have any problem whatsoever?

I'm asking cause i've been playing with a native G-Sync monitor for the past 4 years (Asus PG279Q), so i'd hate to have some sort of downgrade.

Thank you all so much.

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

4 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

- Native G-Sync is rated between 1Hz and the monitor's max refresh rate.

- G-Sync Compatible is rated between 20/30/45/60Hz (it can vary) and the monitor's max refresh rate, so as long as you don't go lower than 20/30/45/60FPS, you have a tear-free experience.

Both native G-Sync and G-Sync Compatible only work above a certain refresh rate, usually around 30–50 Hz or so due to limitations of LCDs (otherwise flickering is caused). To allow variable refresh rate to continue working below this limit, frames are shown twice, so that for example 25 FPS will simply show each frame twice (50 Hz) but your eye will see 25 frames per second and the G-Sync effect can be maintained down to 0 Hz. This is true for both native G-Sync and G-Sync compatible.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Both native G-Sync and G-Sync Compatible only work above a certain refresh rate, usually around 30–50 Hz or so due to limitations of LCDs (otherwise flickering is caused). To allow variable refresh rate to continue working below this limit, frames are shown twice, so that for example 25 FPS will simply show each frame twice (50 Hz) but your eye will see 25 frames per second and the G-Sync effect can be maintained down to 0 Hz. This is true for both native G-Sync and G-Sync compatible.

And this would be the LFC (Low Framerate Compensation), right?

But beside that, based on what i see here, all G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate monitors' range starts at 1Hz, unlike Compatible ones, which ranges are smaller, and so that would mean that the LFC only applies for Compatible ones... Am i incorrect?

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

On top of what was already mentioned, it's important to note that G-Sync Compatible monitors are also typically (if not always) capable of FreeSync. That means you're not locked to Nvidia.

Even if you think right now that you wouldn't buy an AMD GPU (and I'd advise against any kind of brand loyalty), things can change drastically in a few years. Nvidia's performance improvements relative to price have been really stagnating, and they're getting more power hungry.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

On top of what was already mentioned, it's important to note that G-Sync Compatible monitors are also typically (if not always) capable of FreeSync. That means you're not locked to Nvidia.

Even if you think right now that you wouldn't buy an AMD GPU (and I'd advise against any kind of brand loyalty), things can change drastically in a few years. Nvidia's performance improvements relative to price have been really stagnating, and they're getting more power hungry.

That is indeed true, and no, i have no brand loyalties whatsoever. That advantage is one of the reason i want to be sure before switching from a native G-Sync to a compatible one.

37 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

And this would be the LFC (Low Framerate Compensation), right?

But beside that, based on what i see here, all G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate monitors' range starts at 1Hz, unlike Compatible ones, which ranges are smaller, and so that would mean that the LFC only applies for Compatible ones... Am i incorrect?

Yes. Native G-Sync module monitors use this too, NVIDIA just doesn't like to talk about it. The "1 Hz" is using LFC, though for Compatible they don't include the LFC as part of the range, which is inconsistent but that's how it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

31 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yes. Native G-Sync module monitors use this too, NVIDIA just doesn't like to talk about it. The "1 Hz" is using LFC, though for Compatible they don't include the LFC as part of the range, which is inconsistent but that's how it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well that's weird... Not that it concerns me cause i wouldn't be able to play at any framerate lower than ~70-75FPS anyway due to my highly demanding eyes >_>

Only thing that concerns me is having an inferior gaming experience with a compatible compared to a native.

16 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Well that's weird... Not that it concerns me cause i wouldn't be able to play at any framerate lower than ~70-75FPS anyway due to my highly demanding eyes >_>

Only thing that concerns me is having an inferior gaming experience with a compatible compared to a native.

Just make sure you check reviews.  It's not THAT uncommon to see a G-Sync compatible monitor where G-Sync works at a different range than FreeSync (for example, FS at 30-165, but GS at 30-144), particularly on the budget end of G-Sync compatible monitors.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Just make sure you check reviews.  It's not THAT uncommon to see a G-Sync compatible monitor where G-Sync works at a different range than FreeSync (for example, FS at 30-165, but GS at 30-144), particularly on the budget end of G-Sync compatible monitors.

Would you consider this a valid review? It seems to me like a solid monitor. Except for the contrast but, you know, IPS...

4 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Would you consider this a valid review? It seems to me like a solid monitor. Except for the contrast but, you know, IPS...

Yes, it's definitely a valid review. It does seem like a solid monitor, and the refresh rate will do 144hz over DisplayPort (not sure if G Sync will work at 160hz, but that's not even reasonable at such a high resolution).

You should take a look at customer reviews though. While you'll get less technical information, it's good for looking for patterns. I checked the Amazon reviews and quite a few people complained about quality assurance issues, like dead pixels. Now that shouldn't necessarily dissuade you from buying the monitor as it is a simple matter of returning it if you get a bad one, but it's good to be aware of possibilities like that.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:31 AM, JoostinOnline said:

Yes, it's definitely a valid review. It does seem like a solid monitor, and the refresh rate will do 144hz over DisplayPort (not sure if G Sync will work at 160hz, but that's not even reasonable at such a high resolution).

You should take a look at customer reviews though. While you'll get less technical information, it's good for looking for patterns. I checked the Amazon reviews and quite a few people complained about quality assurance issues, like dead pixels. Now that shouldn't necessarily dissuade you from buying the monitor as it is a simple matter of returning it if you get a bad one, but it's good to be aware of possibilities like that.

A valid point indeed, i'll go check some stores.

Sort of off topic, is there any software i could use to properly test the monitor once i acquire it (like dead pixels, backlight bleeding, overshoot, etc)?

2 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

A valid point indeed, i'll go check some stores.

Sort of off topic, is there any software i could use to properly test the monitor once i acquire it (like dead pixels, backlight bleeding, overshoot, etc)?

Dead pixels and backlight bleeding you can easily spot by loading up a solid image (try a couple different colors). TestUFO is my go to for things like ghosting and your refresh rate, which is a website that has a lot of different simulations. It's also just a neat way to see the difference a high refresh rate makes. www.testufo.com

On 5/25/2021 at 6:38 AM, JoostinOnline said:

I heard Linus mentioned though that the new generation of G-Sync will no longer lock you to Nvidia but work on both Nvidia and AMD GPU just like the G-Sync compatible and adaptive sync monitor