NVME SSD DRAINING LAPTOP BATTERY

Help post
Nvme ssd is reducing laptop battery backup...
I thought nvmes draws ultra low power 

And does anyone know any solution?

I used to get 5-6 hours now i get max 4 hours 

It is a transcend 220s nvme and my laptop is dell inspiron 3593

It's quite possible this is just a coincidence and that you're just noticing the battery is losing capacity about the same time you added the NVME drive.  If you want a better look at your battery life, you can get Windows to generate a 'Battery Report' that'll show you the designed capacity of the battery and it's max capacity reached with every charge, letting you easily see it's current capacity and how it's declined over time.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/generate-battery-report-windows-10/#:~:text=You can easily generate a,\System32 as battery-report.

I have no idea why this involves going to the command line to then make Windows 10 build an HTML file that you look at.  This is super useful information for knowing if there's something 'wrong' with your laptop or if it's just been a few years and you need to drop in a new battery.  Why is this not easier to acess?

Posted from my laptop which is on it's second battery since purchasing it in 2017 🙂 

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

What drive were you using before switching to the Transcend 220s? Try switching back to the old drive and see if the battery life changes. 

Did anything else change, software or hardware, between changing the drives and when yo noticed the decreased battery life?

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

29 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

It's quite possible this is just a coincidence and that you're just noticing the battery is losing capacity about the same time you added the NVME drive.  If you want a better look at your battery life, you can get Windows to generate a 'Battery Report' that'll show you the designed capacity of the battery and it's max capacity reached with every charge, letting you easily see it's current capacity and how it's declined over time.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/generate-battery-report-windows-10/#:~:text=You can easily generate a,\System32 as battery-report.

I have no idea why this involves going to the command line to then make Windows 10 build an HTML file that you look at.  This is super useful information for knowing if there's something 'wrong' with your laptop or if it's just been a few years and you need to drop in a new battery.  Why is this not easier to acess?

Posted from my laptop which is on it's second battery since purchasing it in 2017 🙂 

My laptop is less than one year old when i purchased it... 

So it is quite new..for the battery to age..

No idea whats happening here..

Even when the laptop is idle.. Battery is drained

13 minutes ago, Universes said:

What drive were you using before switching to the Transcend 220s? Try switching back to the old drive and see if the battery life changes. 

Did anything else change, software or hardware, between changing the drives and when yo noticed the decreased battery life?

I always used hdd that came with the laptop 

It is a brand new laptop

Less than a year old

14 minutes ago, Universes said:

I always uses the hdd that came with the laptop... The laptop is less than a year old...so it is quite a new...

Didn't swap the drive i uses both hdd and ssd now..no other hardware changed 

3 minutes ago, Saiyan32 said:

My laptop is less than one year old when i purchased it... 

So it is quite new..for the battery to age..

No idea whats happening here..

Even when the laptop is idle.. Battery is drained

Try getting the battery report and looking at it

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Try getting the battery report and looking at it

Oka

Lemme check.. 

58 minutes ago, Saiyan32 said:

Help post
Nvme ssd is reducing laptop battery backup...
I thought nvmes draws ultra low power 

And does anyone know any solution?

I used to get 5-6 hours now i get max 4 hours 

It is a transcend 220s nvme and my laptop is dell inspiron 3593

I’m not sure the SSD thing isn’t a red herring.  Coincidence is not causality. Could be for example your batteries are just getting old.  Batteries have a finite number of places to hold electrons.  The number is ridiculously large, but still finite. Every time a battery gets drained it loses a bit of life.  The things just don’t last forever.  I don’t know how old your machine is, so that only might be it. There’s a bunch of different ways to measure battery capacity and each has its own issues.  One of the most common ones is MaH. It has abusability by marketers problems but it’s popular.  When batteries wear the total MaH goes down.  The more wear the further down it goes. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m not sure the SSD thing isn’t a red herring.  Coincidence is not causality. Could be for example your batteries are just getting old.  Batteries have a finite number of places to hold electrons.  The number is ridiculously large, but still finite. Every time a battery gets drained it loses a bit of life.  The things just don’t last forever.  I don’t know how old your machine is, so that only might be it. There’s a bunch of different ways to measure battery capacity and each has its own issues.  One of the most common ones is MaH. It has abusability by marketers problems but it’s popular.  When batteries wear the total MaH goes down.  The more wear the further down it goes. 

Laptop is less than one year old

..quite new..so dont think battery eould wear out that quickly

6 minutes ago, Saiyan32 said:

Laptop is less than one year old

..quite new..so dont think battery eould wear out that quickly

Shouldn’t anyway with normal use and assuming the company didn’t get conned with a shipment of counterfeit batteries.  Seems unlikely though.  Manufacturers are generally the best places to find decent batteries.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.