DIY Keyboard?

whm1974

So those of you who do this, what it is look to do your own Custom KB? Yes I've seen the LTT Video among others. After them I desire to this myself. Well I wanted kind of do this since I read about the Hobby a while back.

I figured Pricing will be all over the Map so to speak. But do my Fellow Geeks here enjoy building Custom Keyboards? Is there High involve in doing something most can't or not willing to do?

I build Computers so....

Just now, whm1974 said:

Thanks I read that Thread already. I'll read the Links later. Right I'm watching this:

Just be careful going down the Youtube rabbit hole. Information overload can lead to you just not doing it lol. Many many opinions out there and different ways to do it that could make you just walk away.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Just be careful going down the Youtube rabbit hole. Information overload can lead to you just not doing it lol. Many many opinions out there and different ways to do it that could make you just walk away.

Thanks I've been down that Hole before with other things. But DIY for only ~$100? I'm willing to try that, but a 60% Board? Not sure if I could use that. A TKL? Perhaps...

Just now, whm1974 said:

Thanks I've been down that Hole before with other things. But DIY for only ~$100? I'm willing to try that, but a 60% Board? Not sure if I could use that. A TKL? Perhaps...

What is a 60% missing that makes you hesitant? 

Just now, Den-Fi said:

What is a 60% missing that makes you hesitant? 

Well I'm used to Full Size Keyboards of course. Not sure how well I could remember how to use the Missing Keys...

25 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well I'm used to Full Size Keyboards of course. Not sure how well I could remember how to use the Missing Keys...

You could just put a piece of cardboard over that section of your keyboard and use a marker on top of that cardboard to make note of what keys you're missing over the course of a week.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

You could just put a piece of cardboard over that section of your keyboard and use a marker on top of that cardboard to make note of what keys you're missing over the course of a week.

Thanks. I would start with a TKL first and maybe later build a 60%.

@Den-Fi What about Optical Gateron Switches? Mention on this Site:

https://tlrtechnology.com/2019/06/15/building-a-custom-mechanical-keyboard-on-a-budget-part-1/

Tad little over ~$100 doesn't sound bad to me. Kailh Blues is what I'm now in my AZIO Retro. The Vendor He Mentions, Trustworthy?

https://www.epathbuy.com/product/gateron-optical-switches/