NZXT AIO Water temperature!

Hi,

I have nzxt x53 240mm cooling 9700K overclocked to 5.2 ghz at 1.33v, i noticed when playing cyberpunk the water temp in the AIO reaches 45, not familiar with what is a good reading should be but sounds high, thoughts?

CPU Temp sits in low 70s.

The water should be warm, then carried to the radiator and cooled to a lower temp.

What I don't like really about the reading, is it's taken at the block. So it would be at it's hottest point there, but not reflective of what the delta is before and then after the radiator. 

So in essence, the temp reading means nothing because it's not telling you what the radiator is dissipating, if that makes any sense.

Most importantly, is just watching that cpu load temp. Water temp really isn't telling you anything useful (IMO)

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The water should be warm, then carried to the radiator and cooled to a lower temp.

What I don't like really about the reading, is it's taken at the block. So it would be at it's hottest point there, but not reflective of what the delta is before and then after the radiator. 

So in essence, the temp reading means nothing because it's not telling you what the radiator is dissipating, if that makes any sense.

Most importantly, is just watching that cpu load temp. Water temp really isn't telling you anything useful (IMO)

Makes sense really, thanks.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Sorta, if your water temp is really high that does indicate a problem though. For NZXT AIOs, if memory serves, that's anything consistently above 60C. Can actually start damaging the rubber tubing of the AIO, and coolant temps being that high would indicate either a blockage, poor airflow, or you are trying to cool far too much CPU with too little radiator (though the CPU itself would also be quite toasty at that point). So yeah, it's not really a problem in and of itself unless it's out of spec for the AIO's tubing. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Sorta, if your water temp is really high that does indicate a problem though. For NZXT AIOs, if memory serves, that's anything consistently above 60C. Can actually start damaging the rubber tubing of the AIO, and coolant temps being that high would indicate either a blockage, poor airflow, or you are trying to cool far too much CPU with too little radiator (though the CPU itself would also be quite toasty at that point). So yeah, it's not really a problem in and of itself unless it's out of spec for the AIO's tubing. 

O-rings in automotive applications withstand temps at sustained 98c (210f) with a 190 thermostat. I don't see that as being an issue.

I would believe however the cold plate expands and contracts, the screws could loose, the plastic top plate warping at these temps. It's not like the cold plate is all that thick honestly.

So not sure about the location of the temp sensor, at or near the cold plate.... for sure if a CPU hits 100c and or shuts off from thermals, obviously you won't need a water delta to figure out the cheap ass pump just died. lol.

55 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So not sure about the location of the temp sensor, at or near the cold plate....

It's in the pump block, at least as of 2017: https://blog.nzxt.com/does-aio-liquid-evaporate/

And looks like I was right on the temperature, but not the reason why it matters. The tubing won't be damaged, but it will allow more of your coolant to evaporate, and it's hard/impossible to refill most AIOs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

27 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It's in the pump block, at least as of 2017: https://blog.nzxt.com/does-aio-liquid-evaporate/

And looks like I was right on the temperature, but not the reason why it matters. The tubing won't be damaged, but it will allow more of your coolant to evaporate, and it's hard/impossible to refill most AIOs. 

I measure water delta at the cold side. Want to see how the radiator is doing (when I did have a loop set up). On the Geothermal, the inlet temp as well. Usually between 6-8c this time of year.