Disk write error / repair drive error

I just bought a new pc with the specs below:

Ryzen 5 3400g

Gigabyte a320

120 GB SSD 

1TB HDD

8GB RAM 

When I downloaded a game in Steam and had the SSD as the default folder, the download finished without any issues. When I changed the default folder to my HDD, I kept on getting disk write error in Steam so the download won't finish. And when I get that disk write error or corrupt disk message in Steam, that is when a message from Windows pops up saying "restart to repair driver errors" or "scan drive for errors".

When I check the health of my HDD using hard disk sentinel, everything is okay, 100% health, no bad sectors. But the HDD can't be seen in the defrag window.

I only get the errors when I set my HDD as the download folder in Steam. I've tried to wipe clean my system and reinstall the OS but it is still the same. For me to be able to download a game from Steam, I first need to have it saved on my SSD, then transfer the install folder to the HDD. But even then, when the game has an update, since it is in the HDD, there are times that the disk write error comes up. I'm not sure whether it is an issue with my hard drive or with Steam. I don't know what to do next. 

Hope someone is able to tell me what exactly needs to be done.

10 minutes ago, Snekkk said:

I just bought a new pc with the specs below:

Ryzen 5 3400g

Gigabyte a320

120 GB SSD 

1TB HDD

8GB RAM 

When I downloaded a game in Steam and had the SSD as the default folder, the download finished without any issues. When I changed the default folder to my HDD, I kept on getting disk write error in Steam so the download won't finish. And when I get that disk write error or corrupt disk message in Steam, that is when a message from Windows pops up saying "restart to repair driver errors" or "scan drive for errors".

When I check the health of my HDD using hard disk sentinel, everything is okay, 100% health, no bad sectors. But the HDD can't be seen in the defrag window.

I only get the errors when I set my HDD as the download folder in Steam. I've tried to wipe clean my system and reinstall the OS but it is still the same. For me to be able to download a game from Steam, I first need to have it saved on my SSD, then transfer the install folder to the HDD. But even then, when the game has an update, since it is in the HDD, there are times that the disk write error comes up. I'm not sure whether it is an issue with my hard drive or with Steam. I don't know what to do next. 

Hope someone is able to tell me what exactly needs to be done.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- why

- is

- this

- so

- long

- ?

- 😄

-

Sounds like the drive might be on its way out, personally i would get all the files of there (if possible).

And just trow it in the trash, but i dont want any chances of it failing in use.

Also i would suggest checking S.M.A.R.T. status. Maybe share a screenshot of it.
But to me it sounds like the HDD is on its way out...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

36 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Sounds like the drive might be on its way out, personally i would get all the files of there (if possible).

And just trow it in the trash, but i dont want any chances of it failing in use.

Also i would suggest checking S.M.A.R.T. status. Maybe share a screenshot of it.
But to me it sounds like the HDD is on its way out...

I bought all the parts brand new, including the HDD, it's not even a month old but I also feel like it is the HDD, so I brought it back to the store where I got it. But based on the tests they did, they said there is no issue with the hard drive. They did ask though if the HDD was connected when I installed the OS in the SSD and I said yes. They said that might be the issue as there is supposed to be only one drive when installing the OS. They asked me to reformat the computer, disconnect the sata cable of the HDD during OS installation, and once the OS is installed, shut down, reconnect the HDD then format it. But the issue is still the same.

Is there a way that a used HDD can be "cleaned" or formatted to show that they are new, because now I have doubts that they didn't really use a brand new HDD.

I will check S.M.A.R.T status when I'm back home and post it here.

48 minutes ago, tkitch said:

have you considered trying another SATA port on the motherboard?  

but I'm also suspicious of the drive.  Do you have another HDD you could test with?  

Unfortunately I don't have other HDDs that I can test. I really feel it is the HDD too, I just don't know what caused the issue as it is not even a month when I bought it.

I haven't tried using a different port. To be honest, I don't know much in terms of connecting cables and trying other ports but will give it a go as soon as I'm home.

2 minutes ago, Snekkk said:

Unfortunately I don't have other HDDs that I can test. I really feel it is the HDD too, I just don't know what caused the issue as it is not even a month when I bought it.

I haven't tried using a different port. To be honest, I don't know much in terms of connecting cables and trying other ports but will give it a go as soon as I'm home.

New drives can break. Take all your stuff off and RMA it? (if possible).

Kinda sounds like something in the controller is busted and that the internal are still ok-ish. Still should be RMA-able.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

New drives can break. Take all your stuff off and RMA it? (if possible).

Yeah, I feel that is the best resolution here. But the store tells me that the result of the tests says otherwise and the HDD health is 100% with no bad sectors. Is it possible that the HDD is really bad even with those results as that is the argument of the store.

1 minute ago, Snekkk said:

Yeah, I feel that is the best resolution here. But the store tells me that the result of the tests says otherwise and the HDD health is 100% with no bad sectors. Is it possible that the HDD is really bad even with those results as that is the argument of the store.

Yes very possible, dont let the ignorance of the store employees stop your endeavor.
As like i said the controller is somewhat broken it wont show broken sectors etc.

Ask friends locally, I'm sure someone has an old 200GB hdd that's doing nothing you could test with.

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Ask friends locally, I'm sure someone has an old 200GB hdd that's doing nothing you could test with.

Yeah, someone will lend me his 1TB hdd so I can check if I will have the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

16 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Yes very possible, dont let the ignorance of the store employees stop your endeavor.
As like i said the controller is somewhat broken it wont show broken sectors etc.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll test another HDD first to isolate the issue then go back to the store if the issue doesn't happen on the spare HDD that I will test.

So I have now tested another HDD, and it is still happening. When I'm downloading a game, after some time, the disk write error comes up. 

Now one thing that I noticed is that it happens right after I lose internet connection. Do you guys think that might be it? The files get corrupted or something and then it also affects the HDD? Because on the original HDD, I also noticed the error comes up when my internet goes down, and then when it tries to download again, the error comes up. Not sure if that is really what's causing this issue.

Any thoughts? I have included the S.M.A.R.T results too.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

make sure it is formatted in a compatible type FAT32, exFAT, etc.