Xiaomi storage

NystriX
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

When you connect to the computer through MTP you don't have "direct" access to the storage, the phone creates a virtual file system. It can do whatever it wants there, including not exposing the entire storage. For example when you connect an iPhone what you see does not correspond to anything that actually is on the phone's filesystem, it just shows its database as a directory and even converts files on the fly as you grab them.

Hey, I've got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 with 128GB... Now, when I open the storage menu in my phone it shows 30GB free out of 128 but when I'm connecting it to my computer it's showing 30GB free out of 100...

Why is it like that? Where the other 25GBs have gone to?
explorer_7R2lCuCPVL.png.34b3a4ef4b1eb2f0b4eb8f432764213c.png

PS2 Fat(JP) : PS2 S Silver(EU) : PS3 Super Slim : Nintendo Switch
Wii(x2) : SNES CE : Xbox One : Xbox 360 S(EU) : PS Vita 2000

1 minute ago, Benji said:

The other 24GB have gone to the file system and operating system. Just like how you'll never see a 256GB SSD showing 256GB. Formatted, it'll show less. No device shows it's full storage capacity, besides iPhones, listing their file system and OS in another file-containing category.

Also keep in mind that windows works with the 1024 system instead of the 1000 system so that is why you seemingly "lose" a lot of space.

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

besides iPhones, listing their file system and OS in another file-containing category.

That's probably why I got confused

PS2 Fat(JP) : PS2 S Silver(EU) : PS3 Super Slim : Nintendo Switch
Wii(x2) : SNES CE : Xbox One : Xbox 360 S(EU) : PS Vita 2000

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Yup. My phone also shows the listed storage capacity (256GB) but of course it'll never show all the 256GB as available. I'm sure you've noticed that on your other storage devices in your computer already. File systems also "cost" storage.

And then some phones do like my mi 9t from Xioami :p. Or my old pixel all 111gb available (which if you do conversion to the 1024 system from windows checks out). It's basically random at this point as to what phone manufacturers do :p.

When you connect to the computer through MTP you don't have "direct" access to the storage, the phone creates a virtual file system. It can do whatever it wants there, including not exposing the entire storage. For example when you connect an iPhone what you see does not correspond to anything that actually is on the phone's filesystem, it just shows its database as a directory and even converts files on the fly as you grab them.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2