Deep Learning Rig

VitaminP

I am looking at upgrading my PC (I know great timing -____-) and want to focus on deep learning as I do not game much anymore.  Anyone have any suggestions for GPUs.  I am looking to stay under $1000, but am open to hearing suggestions.

I have seen some fairly priced RTX 2080 TIs out there, but they are rare.  Also I am tempted to just go with a cheap Tesla k80 and call it a day.

Currently I have a GTX 1050 TI which is not cutting it and am having to farm out some of my computing, which is also not cutting it.

Anyone have any suggestions I am not considering?  Thanks for the help!

Edited by VitaminP
typed 1050 as 1550

7 minutes ago, VitaminP said:

and want to focus on deep learning as I do not game much anymore

Honestly its not a good time to buy newer Quadro nor tesla card either, but ive seen some P4000 and 6000 coming in lots for 800$ or so.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

20 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Honestly its not a good time to buy newer Quadro nor tesla card either, but ive seen some P4000 and 6000 coming in lots for 800$ or so.

Yes unfortunately, everything is astronomically high price wise right now, thats why I was thinking of a K80 and saving some money until things blow over.

I appreciate the input though, I will keep the P series cards on my radar as I look. 

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

..ive seen some P4000 and 6000 coming in lots for 800$..

And a 3060 deep learning?

6 minutes ago, Alan Mattano said:

I have been looking at those too, they have 12gb of memory which is great, but compared to the 2080 ti they have about 800 less CUDA cores and about 400 less Tensor cores. So I think the 1 less gb on the 2080 ti is worth the trade off.  *IF you can find one for under $1000, which you can find the 3060s for under $1000 np.  Plus knowing that MSRP is $350ish is like a kick in the gut....

A 2080ti would be perfect (a 3080 is lacking in vram for SOTA models, and 3090 too expensive), but you might not be able to find one.

If you get lucky enough, an used V100/Titan V/Quadro GV100 would be perfect. Performs better than the current consumer Ampere GPUs, while also having more memory.

A k80 would net you a nice amount of vram, but it's really lacking in performance. Going for Volta/Turing/Ampere is also better because you can use tensor cores, which can do mixed precision and basically make your training twice as fast while halving the memory need.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Make a decision looking to the future. Past prize are not relevant.

Looks when ETH will stop mining and selling cards. New GPUs coming.

GTX 3060: CUDA Cores: 4352 | 28? tensor cores

GTX 2080Ti: CUDA Cores: 4352544? tensor cores

GTX 2060: CUDA Cores: 1920 | 240? tensor cores (1000usd)

GTX 1080 Ti is packing 3584 CUDA cores | none tensor cores 900usd Is not slow and I was actually using it for deep learning in it.

Deep learning benchmarks: https://lambdalabs.com/gpu-benchmarks

Tensor cores: https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-does-the-new-nvidia-rtx-3060-stack-up-against-20-series-rtx-cards/

2 hours ago, igormp said:

A 2080ti would be perfect

Yeah I think so too, but people want a lot for them now and I don't have a great card to re-coup any of that cost with, might just have to bite the bullet or wait to find a deal.

The k80s vram is the main appeal but I do realize it is a very old card, I could get 2 for about $600 or less though.  Or 2 pascal Titan Xs for not much more.

1 hour ago, Alan Mattano said:

Make a decision looking to the future. Past prize are not relevant.

Looks when ETH will stop mining and selling cards. New GPUs coming.

GTX 3060: CUDA Cores: 4352 | 28? tensor cores

GTX 2080Ti: CUDA Cores: 4352544? tensor cores

GTX 2060: CUDA Cores: 1920 | 240? tensor cores (1000usd)

GTX 1080 Ti is packing 3584 CUDA cores | none tensor cores 900usd Is not slow and I was actually using it for deep learning in it.

Deep learning benchmarks: https://lambdalabs.com/gpu-benchmarks

Tensor cores: https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-does-the-new-nvidia-rtx-3060-stack-up-against-20-series-rtx-cards/

Thanks for sharing those benchmarks, they do paint the 1080 TI positively.  Ill have to check my tensor core stats again I forget where I got the info, most likely one of the benchmark sites.