6098P cpu overheating

Go to solution Solved by SignatureSigner,

If the thermal paste is dry and crusty it needs replaced. 

i have a build with gtx1050 and 6098p since 2017 and i have been using it for games like overwatch, rainbow six, etc.

last year, for some reason when i played apex legends on it, it kept crashing after matches (as soon as match was over). i thought that was a game specific issue but then it started happening in overwatch as well. i cleaned up the stock cpu cooler and still no good. i went ahead and replaced the cpu fan and it worked for some time but started crashing after few days. the PC now crashes after 3 /4 matches.

during the games i can monitor my gpu temp to be around 65-85 C throughout the game. so to monitor my cpu temp, i ran benchmark (Prime95) and the cpu goes from 40 C to 90 C in 1 min (and keeps rising). i closed the benchmark before it hit 100 C.

i noticed that the thermal paste was is very dry...i don't know how thermal paste is supposed to be like...

also there is 1 intake fan on the case and no extra fans except the one in power supply. i clean out the dust manually at regular intervals.

can someone suggest what should i do to prevent cpu overheating?

thanks in advance.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

sorry, for the dumb question. but is thermal paste specific to cpu or a single type of paste works with all cpus?

Exactly. Thermal paste needs to be somewhere in between solid and liquid. It needs to be a bit goopy but not runny.

The 6098P is only a dual core chip. Shouldn't be hard to cool.

1 minute ago, thePmSquare said:

sorry, for the dumb question. but is thermal paste specific to cpu or a single type of paste works with all cpus?

All types. Works for GPUs too.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

thanks a lot

definitely needs a re-application. luckily there are tons of videos on youtube about how to apply thermal paste, my favorite application method is simply a pea sized dot in the center. Pickup a pack of Arctic MX-4 and you'll be set