BSOD, Ram Compatibility?

nick44e

So I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my build. About 50% of the time on start-up, only one ram stick is recognized (according to task manager), and I have to restart my computer. That always gets it to recognize both sticks of ram. When running xmp, I get BSOD while playing games, and they always have different error codes. I found that by turning off xmp, I don't get the BSOD's, but I still have the start-up issue.

I have ran memory tests, and they have never found any errors with the ram. 

While researching today, I found out that the ram that I have is not listed on the supported ram list for the mobo. Could that be my issue, or is that list usually just for recommendations? Below is a list of the key components that I have:

-Mobo, Gigabyte Aorus B450M, specs - B450 AORUS M (rev. 1.x) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global, ram list - B450 AORUS M-PINNACLE-QVL 20180528.xlsx (gigabyte.com) 

-Hyperx Predator, 16Gb (2x8), HX432C16PB3AK2_16.ai (kingston.com)

-Ryzen 5 2600x

That list is all the RAM kits that have been guaranteed to work for the motherboard. While there are some kits that will work that aren't on that list, it's not unusual to find a kit that does not work if it's not on that list, especially for Ryzen 2000. A BIOS update would be a good idea to see if it would help, but it's very possible that it won't fix the issue, and you're better off trying to find someone to trade for a similar kit that's on that list

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

That list is all the RAM kits that have been guaranteed to work for the motherboard. While there are some kits that will work that aren't on that list, it's not unusual to find a kit that does not work if it's not on that list, especially for Ryzen 2000. A BIOS update would be a good idea to see if it would help, but it's very possible that it won't fix the issue, and you're better off trying to find someone to trade for a similar kit that's on that list

I do know that the BIOS us up-to-date. I was thinking about upgrading ram to 32gb anyways, but my current mobo doesn't really support many good 3200MHz options. So, I just have to decide if I should upgrade my ram first and chance that it won't work, or upgrade my mobo first and ram later.  

Just now, nick44e said:

I do know that the BIOS us up-to-date. I was thinking about upgrading ram to 32gb anyways, but my current mobo doesn't really support many good 3200MHz options. So, I just have to decide if I should upgrade my ram first and chance that it won't work, or upgrade my mobo first and ram later.  

Order the RAM on amazon and return it if it doesn't work properly. AM4 is a dead end socket so unless you can find a board for really cheap on ebay or facebook, there isn't a point to upgrade the mobo. As for getting 3200MHz, that might not be the RAM kit that's the problem. 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen were notorious at having weak memory controllers, so hitting 3200MHz is a challenge without high end samsung B-dies (possible, I've done it, but I got lucky). Still try to find a kit of 3200MHz, but you might just have to run it at 2933MHz instead.