LOW GPU* AND LOW CPU* USAGE

MrDooDoo69

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with this. I don't know if this is normal, all I know is that my input delay is considerably high and I get consistent fps drops as well even though I'm on 0 ping .

Ram: 16gb at 3200mhz

Cpu: ryzen 7 1700

Gpu: gtx 1660

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

What is the framerate that your game (is it Fortnite?) is reporting?

Just now, gamagama69 said:

What is the framerate that your game (is it Fortnite?) is reporting?

I capped it to 165hz, It does reach 165 fps but drops to the high 20s or low 30s as far as i have observed.

Just now, MrDooDoo69 said:I capped it to 165hz, It does reach 165 fps but drops to the high 20s or low 30s as far as i have observed.

I just realized that one thread of your 1700 is pegged at near 100%. That indicates that it's a cpu bottleneck, but your cpu is also running at a low clock speed as well. What cpu cooler are you using?

I just realized that one thread of your 1700 is pegged at near 100%. That indicates that it's a cpu bottleneck, but your cpu is also running at a low clock speed as well. What cpu cooler are you using?

the stock cooler, that was something i wanted to clarify as well, cpu 10 is always at around 90%.

Just now, MrDooDoo69 said:

the stock cooler, that was something i wanted to clarify as well, cpu 10 is always at around 90%.

Have you messed around in the bios with clock speeds at all?

1 minute ago, MrDooDoo69 said:

Aslo, what is your power supply?

In fortnite or any game? I have never played Fortnie on PC but I can't believe the game can be so severely single threaded, especially for such a big title. Unless you have the processor affinity for that game set to only CPU 10?

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

I have I guess, a long time ago, but ive recently reset my pc, I dont know if that wouldve affected the bios settings.

Aslo, what is your power supply?

Thermaltake smart dps g 600w

Just now, Nathanpete said:

In fortnite or any game? I have never played Fortnie on PC but I can't believe the game can be so severely single threaded, especially for such a big title. Unless you have the processor affinity for that game set to only CPU 10?

yes it is fortnite, how do i set the processor affinity to CPU 10, I dont think i have

2 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

I just checked the task manager and the affinity is set to all 16 processors

Just now, MrDooDoo69 said:

I just checked the task manager and the affinity is set to all 16 processors

Set it to something like processors 0 through 7. So make sure only though 8 checkboxes are checked. And then play fortnite, and upload a screenshot of your per thread CPU usage graph in task manager. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

Set it to something like processors 0 through 7. So make sure only though 8 checkboxes are checked. And then play fortnite, and upload a screenshot of your per thread CPU usage graph in task manager. 

Ok

3 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (4).png

Ok try again, but I would appreciate it if I could see a graph where I can tell when it is idle, when you are playing, and then the end of the graph. The graph you uploaded is generated when you open task manager when the computer is in use. Also going afk, may not get back to you till tomorrow, IDK. 

I would like to mention that Core 7 is really Core 8 for simplicity sake. They start at 0 instead of 1. Last time it was core 10, which is 2 cores ahead of core 8. This time it is core 2, so 2 cores ahead of core 0, Is this a problem with Fortnite compatibility with first generation Ryzen and their multiple dies? If there is a fortnite specific forum on their site or something, repost your original post on there. 

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

Ok try again, but I would appreciate it if I could see a graph where I can tell when it is idle, when you are playing, and then the end of the graph. The graph you uploaded is generated when you open task manager when the computer is in use. Also going afk, may not get back to you till tomorrow, IDK. 

I would like to mention that Core 7 is really Core 8 for simplicity sake. They start at 0 instead of 1. Last time it was core 10, which is 2 cores ahead of core 8. This time it is core 2, so 2 cores ahead of core 0, Is this a problem with Fortnite compatibility with first generation Ryzen and their multiple dies? If there is a fortnite specific forum on their site or something, repost your original post on there. 

Thank you, I ll get back to you

29 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

1.Before fortnite

2.While open

3.After closing

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

8 minutes ago, MrDooDoo69 said:

1.Before fortnite

2.While open

3.After closing

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Your clock says otherwise about #1. Of course I am the one to notice that lol. 

Ok, so in case you haven't figured it out yet, the whole reason why your CPU and GPU usage is low is because of a single-threaded bottleneck. First the CPU prepares the frame, then the GPU renders it. But for some reason, and this is not normal, fortnite is actually only using one thread, this means that the CPU is only able to prepare a fraction of the frames. Of course the game requires the CPU for a lot of other things, which may or may not be using other threads (it looks like it is possible that the game is also possibly using Core 0 for some minor stuff, or these could be other single threaded background applications. Each of these other in-game calculations reduces the number of frames the CPU can prepare a second. I can't confirm whether or not this is normal for Ryzen because A) I have Zen 2, you have Zen 1, and B) I don't play fortnite, and never plan too. Somebody on a fortnite subreddit or forum could answer that for you. But this makes zero sense why Epic would do it like this, it is really hard to program for multiple threads but they have tons of employees who could work on this problem. 

This means that the GPU only has to render a fraction of the frames too, meaning it has to do a lot less work, which is why your GPU usage is low. For an esports game this makes zero sense, because esports games always require lots more CPU power than most games. But even games like TF2, which is barely an esports game anymore, can only use up to 2 threads, back in the day it used to be the limitation, but nowadays single threaded IPC is so good it doesn't matter. Also TF2 is literally 14 years old so we get sky high framerates anyway as long as you have a dedicated GPU. (I played on a second gen intel iGP and I had to reduce the game to 720p (4:3), very low everything, and only got 40 FPS. I now play on a RX 5600 XT and get 280+ FPS no matter what at the highest settings at 1080p, I could go to an even higher resolution but the downscaling makes the fonts way too hard to read)

Also reboot into BIOS and enable virtualization. It won't fix your problem but there is zero reason why it should not be enabled for gamers. Just a word of advice. Virtualization goes by varying names depending on the motherboard, it could be called 

• Virtualization
  • AMD-V
  • Vt
  • SVM Mode

All I know is that it tends to be Under Advanced options, CPU configuration. Hopefully the "about" page in the UEFI mentions virtualization somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Ok, so in case you haven't figured it out yet, the whole reason why your CPU and GPU usage is low is because of a single-threaded bottleneck. First the CPU prepares the frame, then the GPU renders it. But for some reason, and this is not normal, fortnite is actually only using one thread, this means that the CPU is only able to prepare a fraction of the frames. Of course the game requires the CPU for a lot of other things, which may or may not be using other threads (it looks like it is possible that the game is also possibly using Core 0 for some minor stuff, or these could be other single threaded background applications. Each of these other in-game calculations reduces the number of frames the CPU can prepare a second. I can't confirm whether or not this is normal for Ryzen because A) I have Zen 2, you have Zen 1, and B) I don't play fortnite, and never plan too. Somebody on a fortnite subreddit or forum could answer that for you. But this makes zero sense why Epic would do it like this, it is really hard to program for multiple threads but they have tons of employees who could work on this problem. 

This means that the GPU only has to render a fraction of the frames too, meaning it has to do a lot less work, which is why your GPU usage is low. For an esports game this makes zero sense, because esports games always require lots more CPU power than most games. But even games like TF2, which is barely an esports game anymore, can only use up to 2 threads, back in the day it used to be the limitation, but nowadays single threaded IPC is so good it doesn't matter. Also TF2 is literally 14 years old so we get sky high framerates anyway as long as you have a dedicated GPU. (I played on a second gen intel iGP and I had to reduce the game to 720p (4:3), very low everything, and only got 40 FPS. I now play on a RX 5600 XT and get 280+ FPS no matter what at the highest settings at 1080p, I could go to an even higher resolution but the downscaling makes the fonts way too hard to read)

Also reboot into BIOS and enable virtualization. It won't fix your problem but there is zero reason why it should not be enabled for gamers. Just a word of advice. Virtualization goes by varying names depending on the motherboard, it could be called 

• Virtualization
  • AMD-V
  • Vt
  • SVM Mode

All I know is that it tends to be Under Advanced options, CPU configuration. Hopefully the "about" page in the UEFI mentions virtualization somewhere. 

Thank you for your time, btw I figured the usage of cpu would be the same before opening the game and after closing it, I had the game open and I was just lazy to do it all over again😂. If thats the case, then I think it is my cpu, I'll change it in the future

21 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

• Virtualization
  • AMD-V
  • Vt
  • SVM Mode

I used process lasso to assign all process to certain cores and assigned fortnite alone to 4 cores and those cores are at about 75-80% and I've overclocked my cpu to 3.9ghz at 1.35v, can you tell me if thats a safe limit for my cpu(ryzen 7 1700).

2 hours ago, MrDooDoo69 said:

I used process lasso to assign all process to certain cores and assigned fortnite alone to 4 cores and those cores are at about 75-80% and I've overclocked my cpu to 3.9ghz at 1.35v, can you tell me if thats a safe limit for my cpu(ryzen 7 1700).

IDK how to OC Zen, and barely know how to OC my own Zen 2 CPU. I think your Vcore is a little high, Just follow this: https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8506/ryzen-1000-series-overclocking-guide/index.html

Now when you assigned 4 cores (which is really 2 cores, 4 threads) did fortnite actually use all four cores are did it still primarily use just one of them? Because if this is the case, then you can forget using process lasso because it isn't helping anything. 

23 hours ago, MrDooDoo69 said:

If thats the case, then I think it is my cpu, I'll change it in the future

Not quiet yet, we need to identify whether or not this sort of CPU usage is normal. Fortnite-specific forums on other websites can help you find a person who is also playing on a Ryzen 7 1700 and see if they have the same problem. 

I would title that post something like

"Fortnite only using a single thread on my Ryzen 7 1700?"

And then re-hash what I have found, send the same screenshots, AND link back to this LTT topic. I could have helped you more if I was familiar with how fortnite on PC operates, but I don't know anything about how fortnite on PC works. 

28 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

IDK how to OC Zen, and barely know how to OC my own Zen 2 CPU. I think your Vcore is a little high, Just follow this: https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8506/ryzen-1000-series-overclocking-guide/index.html

Now when you assigned 4 cores (which is really 2 cores, 4 threads) did fortnite actually use all four cores are did it still primarily use just one of them? Because if this is the case, then you can forget using process lasso because it isn't helping anything. 

nathan, r u in Indianapolis? i want to know what the pc component deals are there right now if you are, my dad lives in indianapolis, and i will see him in about a month or two, and i want to know if i should bring a lot of cash because of the good deals

Do you have GPU plugged into PCI-E x16 slot? You can check PCI-E status with a tool called GPU-Z or by looking at your motherboard manual. Just checking out the most obvious solutions first.