Randomly Failing Boot Up

MidnightFD3S

So this is my current build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jRfcsX

Everything is pretty much brand new except the HDD, randomly when I start up the computer it won't start. On the Post Lights it shows a DRAM problem, but it isnt consistent which is what is confusing me. After a few restarts it will finally boot up and run perfectly fine with 0 hiccups. No idea what is going on lol

46 minutes ago, MidnightFD3S said:

So this is my current build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jRfcsX

Everything is pretty much brand new except the HDD, randomly when I start up the computer it won't start. On the Post Lights it shows a DRAM problem, but it isnt consistent which is what is confusing me. After a few restarts it will finally boot up and run perfectly fine with 0 hiccups. No idea what is going on lol

You run memtest86 yet?  Might come back clean even if there is a memory problem.  The other even longer but more sensitive test is put only a single stick (assuming you’ve got more than one) in slot #1 and see if the issue reoccurs.  Needs to be done with both sticks most often.  Works on the theory that if there is bad memory it will be in only one stick.  Memtest86 is better because it’s faster and doesn’t rely on probability so it’s generally best to do first.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You run memtest86 yet?  Might come back clean even if there is a memory problem.  The other even longer but more sensitive test is put only a single stick (assuming you’ve got more than one) in slot #1 and see if the issue reoccurs.  Needs to be done with both sticks most often.  Works on the theory that if there is bad memory it will be in only one stick.  Memtest86 is better because it’s faster and doesn’t rely on probability so it’s generally best to do first.

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So I ran the test.... Everything checks out... No issues

32 minutes ago, MidnightFD3S said:

So I ran the test.... Everything checks out... No issues

Both kinds of tests? The second one requires more than one stick of memory to be useful though.  If you’ve got to buy more memory to try it there’s a decent chance it isn’t worth doing next at least.  Would go under the “costs money and isn’t super likely” heading so there would be other stuff to check next.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Both kinds of tests? The second one requires more than one stick of memory to be useful though.  If you’ve got to buy more memory to try it there’s a decent chance it isn’t worth doing next at least.  Would go under the “costs money and isn’t super likely” heading so there would be other stuff to check next.

No I didn't the the 1 stick at a time. Don't really have the time available to do that

3 hours ago, MidnightFD3S said:

No I didn't the the 1 stick at a time. Don't really have the time available to do that

Yeah it’s slow and annoying. Memtest will get the big stuff generally.  Makes a memory problem a lot less likely. Could be other stuff to look at first.  Trouble shooting goes in the order of fastest and cheapest first. Time is less cheap for you.

Other “sometimes it just doesn’t work” stuff with fast cheap solutions can be partial connections on cables, or windows having conniptions because it can’t find something.  The windows conniptions happen after post though.  Sometimes with those there may be a very long boot time involved.  Flashing the most modern bios and clearing CMOS can also fix a host of weirdnesses.

Edited by Bombastinator