PC is putting all the workload on 1 core after a BSOD happened.

Hello everyone, hope you're having a good day.

This is my issue that i have been ignoring for a few months but now I'm decided to fix it.

Back in January i was playing Cyberpunk and got a BSOD related to system memory (irql not less or equal). I didn't get the error anymore after some tweaking on bios with the RAM speed but I noticed games in general were running quite badly (stuttering).

After some digging i found out that for some reason the applications are all running on Core 0, and almost never dropping from 90% usage on that core while all the other cores are ignored. I googled this issue but nothing came up except for a solution that was to set the affinity on the task manager and deactivate Core 0 for every application i want to use which is quite annoying. This fix lets me run games and applications reasonably smooth for the following months.

I tried the following solutions:

Updating Bios

Undo my CPU's OC

Reduce and increase CPU voltage

Change RAM position

Change RAM speed and timings

Clean reinstall of windows

Going back to a previous version of windows before the crash.

My PC's specs are:

MSI B350 gaming pro carbon MB

Ryzen 5 1600 with an OC to 3.8

Nvidia GTX 1660ti

RAM asgard loki w2 3200mhz

1 1TB HDD

1 m.2 Sata SSD

1 SSD

If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated because I'm seriously thinking of changing my motherboard and CPU to try out how it works but the prices right now are not helping.

tried reseting bios?

definitely weird and i suspect is a software issue

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

tried reseting bios?

definitely weird and i suspect is a software issue

Yup, i tried that too.

I think Its most likely software as well because my pc runs really smooth when i apply that fix of disabling core 0

1 minute ago, ErasedAndroid1 said:

Yup, i tried that too.

I think Its most likely software as well because my pc runs really smooth when i apply that fix of disabling core 0

how did you reset windows? did you use a USB to reinstall everything from scratch or built in factory reset?

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

how did you reset windows? did you use a USB to reinstall everything from scratch or built in factory reset?

First i tried going back to a previous version with the built in tool, then i used a USB to reinstall windows keeping my files then i did a full reinstall

3 minutes ago, ErasedAndroid1 said:

First i tried going back to a previous version with the built in tool, then i used a USB to reinstall windows keeping my files then i did a full reinstall

i recommend you doing a backup of your essential files (on the OS drive), then shut down and unplug all non-OS drive from your system (unless you're confident you're careful enough to not accidentally delete stuffs)

boot into the USB installer, select custom installation, and perform a format on your OS drive before installing your OS back onto it (all the partitions of the OS Drive, delete them)

this should do the cleanest installation of windows, and if issue persists then it's firmware (bios) issue, or worse, hardware (i doubt)