Sourcing Xeon W-1250 for CAD Workstation build.

Budget (including currency): £500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AutoCAD

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Boss wants me to build systems based off an existing system we have, it has a Xeon W-1250 in it and I can't for the life of me source this chip from anywhere! Does anyone have a reliable vendor for these server/workstation cpu's? or someone point me in the right direction of the consumer equivalent. I've put budget 500 for the cpu, not the system.

I don't think you're gonna get that chip for that price.

Even used they are 1200$ (US)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yep, that's what I thought. Google doesn't even give me a shopping widget on All for them and when I got onto shopping, it's just prebuilts. Do you know any consumer accessible chips that have the same punch? like an i9-9900 or something?

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

i5-10600?

Well, it's a tad more complex than that....the Xeon, for example, supports ECC RAM, which can be highly useful in some situations (like CAD work where accuracy is critical)

Could you list the specs of the build you are trying to reference?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well, it's a tad more complex than that....the Xeon, for example, supports ECC RAM, which can be highly useful in some situations (like CAD work where accuracy is critical)

Could you list the specs of the build you are trying to reference?

I am out of office now but from memory, it's basically the dell optiplex workstation that comes with a W-1250. 250GB Samsung M.2, onboard GPU. All OEM parts probably bought from the dell website. They have tasked me to build one so the acquisition is cheaper since we need 3 more systems. I seen the same system for £1400 elsewhere, I asked them if they go it for that price and they said way more so I think they got it from dell.

Well, if you don't need real workstation-class quality (the Dell Precision line is a very good option if you need a proper workstation, I'm typing on one now) or ECC or the Quadro line GFX card (and the associated extra precision you get from the driver) then as you mentioned before the i5-10600 should do you just fine

Personal opinion ahead:

I did CAD work professionally for a bit, we built hospitals. Part of the requirements to get the job, was that our systems had to meet minimum specs of ECC RAM and a Quadro GPU, so depending on the type of CAD work your shop is doing, it may or may not be important to stick with a Xeon. 

On 4/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Well, if you don't need real workstation-class quality (the Dell Precision line is a very good option if you need a proper workstation, I'm typing on one now) or ECC or the Quadro line GFX card (and the associated extra precision you get from the driver) then as you mentioned before the i5-10600 should do you just fine

Personal opinion ahead:

I did CAD work professionally for a bit, we built hospitals. Part of the requirements to get the job, was that our systems had to meet minimum specs of ECC RAM and a Quadro GPU, so depending on the type of CAD work your shop is doing, it may or may not be important to stick with a Xeon. 

Hello, sorry for the late reply. Yes, the project is underway and I have gone for ryzen 5 2600 with a 2GB GPU. The work we do is all line drawings so it won't be graphically demanding, we just need a fast, cheap CPU to keep up with AutoCAD 2020 and possibly '21. 16GB DDR4, struggling to find ECC RAM though. We have laptops that the designers work on and they haven't got no ECC capabilities. Risky business but they want to risk it, it's not my money or data.