M.2 Upgrade rant.

GradyB

In 2015 I was attending local University classes and my HP laptop blew up.  So I saved up a bought an Alienware 17” that had the ability to use a desktop GPU in the same brand graphics amplifier.  Here it is 2021 and this laptop is still great for my needs. I opened it up and saw that I had 5 M.2 expansion slots plus the main and a 2.5” slot. So I got on the Newegg site and researched the m.2 after watching LTT install loads of them never really know what my laptop had under the hood. 

I soon found out my older M.2 had a different key gap than the modern m.2 sold for gaming or storage. Since I have done the research a s purchased mistake and talking to a Best Buy geek squad who had no idea what I was talking about I’ll post a link. 
Newegg had a 14 day shipping so I ordered one from Best Buy to pick up in store. Turns out the WD black I bought was the new key and not the old key so I had to settle for a blue with both keys open to fit my expansion slots. After returned the m.2 to bestbuy and asking geek squad what to search for he had no idea what I was talking about.  So below are pictures. 

now since I got the two key version from Amazon I get the Amazon “can you answer this question” people infuriating me by asking does this fit my pc or laptop and just throw out a model number. Which after the pain I went through trying to ask technicians more knowledgeable than myself I kind of want them to learn the lesson I learned. I’m sure That this post has loads of typos to thanks for letting get that out. 

FYI I have also see loads of Bluetooth and WiFi cards that are now m.2 as well. 

Which I upgraded one of those too.  Super fun. 

12138880-D9F5-4FEA-BA75-3919B6A2A27D.jpeg

4F507FBE-BD2C-46C6-A499-C87C80D67B98.jpeg

B02BAC76-5FE5-4C22-988C-1A073789D52D.jpeg

<-- Moved to Storage Devices -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card