New build losing time/Seconds count slow

Errorplane

I recently completed a new build and I'm having a weird issue with Windows 10 time continually desyncing while in use. Basically the time is running slow and I lose approximately 6 seconds every minute. I've compared it to a stop watch as well and found the seconds counting slow I have "Set time automatically" set ON, "Set time zone automatically" set ON, and time is set to sync with Microsoft servers. I also tried syncing with another server but no luck there. I can resync the time by using the "Sync Now" button, but after one minute my PC is 6 seconds slow. I've switched out my CMOS battery and reinstalled Windows with no change. I'm not running an OC on the CPU and RAM is set to XMP. When I built it, I had to flash bios in order to use my 5800x. My only idea at this point is that it is an issue with the MB. Does anyone have any ideas on fixing this problem?

Build spec below:

CPU: Ryzen 5800x

MB: MSI Tomahawk x570 (Bios 7C84v15)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz cl16

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, Intel 660p 1tb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb x 2

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS PX-750

Cooling: Cryorig R1 Universal, Noctua NF-A14 x 2, Noctua NF-F12

go into the bios and check the clock , if the clock is slow in the bios compared to a stopwatch/phones ect... then try a bios update , if that doesn't fix it then return the board.

I've actually never seen a clock be slow before so that's a new one

1 minute ago, emosun said:

go into the bios and check the clock , if the clock is slow in the bios compared to a stopwatch/phones ect... then try a bios update , if that doesn't fix it then return the board.

Yeah, this is the first build where I have ever seen this type of issue. I'm running the latest non beta bios, but I guess I can reflash it with the same version. I want to try and avoid an RMA if possible because I don't want to have to deal with being without a PC for a bit and also it's with MSI... I'll check the bios clock compared to a stop watch.

And why is this a critical issue? Windows only syncs time once a week usually on Sunday, which is more than enough.

6 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

And why is this a critical issue? Windows only syncs time once a week usually on Sunday, which is more than enough.

If OP is losing about 6 seconds every minute that's 10% slow. That adds up quickly. That's 6 minutes every hour. You could be an hour slow in a day, more if you used the computer for a long time.

I'm not sure I have an answers that haven't already been mentioned. What happens if you don't have time set to sync automatically?

Use a batch file to sync time and run it hourly/daily/at logon withe task scheduler. Here is the batxh file:
@echo off
net start W32Time
w32tm /resync
echo sync complete

Save as anyname.bat in Notepad.

37 minutes ago, emosun said:

Thanks for the idea on running a stopwatch on the timing in bios. Bios time did not run slow, which leads me to believe it might be an application causing the issue. Also, rebooted about 25minutes ago and have been running a stopwatch since and haven't lost any time. Going to go through my normal work/gaming routine's to figure out if launching a specific application causes the issue.

28 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

This isn't a "critical issue", but it is very annoying/distracting. When this initially started happening, it caused me to be late for a couple of meetings due to using my PC clock for reminders. Additionally, I am taking some online classes and it caused an issue where timed tests wouldn't correctly display the actual time I had left to complete it. Another very specific issue was in the game Escape from Tarkov. If my PC was 4 minutes behind, the game would end with what appeared to be 4 minutes left of gameplay because the server was running on the correct time. So again, just overall annoyances that I would like to fix.

Already discovered an issue. My first idea was to put the computer to sleep for 5 minutes and then wake it up and see if that caused an issue. It booted up with the correct time down the the second and started losing seconds from there. So, it's maintaining time through sleep, but starts having issues after wakeup. Will reboot so time runs normally and see if any applications cause it to happen as well.