NAS configuration sanity check - Hand made

Greetings!

I'm looking at building a NAS solution for backup purposes. I might do slight work on it, but nothing heavy.
I've tried to build the cheapest silent computer I could and ended up with this config disk excluded for ~550 euros (660$)
image.png.2db3a4cd58d068cbf6ca02eb397b2e15.png

(From my understanding, the Intel Celeron comes with integrated graphics, so no need for a GPU. )

The big idea would be to build this twice, one for me and a friend, and we would replicate our data to each NAS through internet for offsite backup. I thought of going with 6 WD Red 4 To disks. 3 disks in Raid 5 for 8 To of capacity, doubled for both local storage and the same for the offsite of the other. so we would be looking at 840$ for disks per NAS (6*140)

For software, I thought TrueNas core would be a good solution, but from what I gathered on internet, they do not support standard RAID configurations? I'm kind of lost on the software side as of now.

So if you had any recommendation on software side, I'd be glad to hear them 馃檪 And if I did something atrociously wrong with my config, please LMK 馃槄

9 minutes ago, Rob Koda said:

I've tried to build the cheapest silent computer I could and ended up with this config disk excluded for ~550 euros (660$)

By that price range, i would go for a turnkey NAS barebones from the likes of QNAP and Synology. DIY NAS is all about expandability, and with you limited to 5 SATA ports, youll need a dedicated RAID card by the time you wanna have more 8TB redundant capacity which would kick you to the 800$ ish.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.