Swapping LED's

Heydare248

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here but want to know if anyone can drop some knowledge on if its possible to swap the color of led's on my audio interface. It's pretty old and has the standard eye squinting green and a weird bright blue lol. On the left is the chancel strip which is green aswell. I would prefer straight white since it fits my studio better. Is this somthing that's even possible? Would be willing to pay someone to do it if it's not to pricey. 

Screenshot_20210413-222311.png

Depends on what type of led they are, but it should be easy no matter their type as long as you have the right tools. It's most likely just some basic soldering required. Could be slightly harder if they are smd.

24 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Depends on what type of led they are, but it should be easy no matter their type as long as you have the right tools. It's most likely just some basic soldering required. Could be slightly harder if they are smd.

I'm a novice at soldering but don't think I should have trouble if it's basic let's and sorry but could you tell me what smd is🤣

11 minutes ago, Heydare248 said:

I'm a novice at soldering but don't think I should have trouble if it's basic let's and sorry but could you tell me what smd is🤣

Surface mount devices. They are the smaller packaged leds that don't have long leads, that are soldered to the surface of the pcb instead of pushed through holes.

The left one with the long leads is actually called tht/through hole technology. They are both LEDs so I have no idea why they labled them like that

led-vs-smd3.jpg

Oh dear how do I resize the image

Edited by MojangYang

12 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Surface mount devices. They are the smaller packaged leds that don't have long leads, that are soldered to the surface of the pcb instead of pushed through holes.

The left one with the long leads is actually called tht/through hole technology. They are both LEDs so I have no idea why they labled them like that

led-vs-smd3.jpg

Oh dear how do I resize the image

So I'm guessing the smaller the lead, the more complicated the soldering gets. Gotcha. Well thanks for the input! I guess I'll just have to open it up to see!

Forward voltage and current could be an issue, depending on what is driving them. Like say if you had a 2V forward drop green LED that was on a 3V supply. You can't use a 5V forward voltage drop white LED.

Also even if say you had a 9V rail with a simple current limiting resistor, you could use either but the current through each would be different with the as is, in circuit resistor. This can also vary with brightness and efficiency of the LED.

Possibly doable but may need to order more specific parts or change other components also.

There is a repair video but it shows only the mainboard not the controls and led sub board.

SMD throughout on that though so personally I'd say probably SMD LEDs, need to know what package and if you can measure the voltage dropped across them when on.