Transporting delidded/unsealed CPU

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

I believe that's fine as long as the lid and all else is secured.
Pad it up well, make sure the clamshell itself is closed and sealed and you should be set. You could run a strip or two of tape around the entire clamshell with the tape sticking back onto itself, that definitely works.

As for the CPU and it's lid, once you close the clamshell it shoudn't move around if you have it closed tightly but a spot of silicone at each corner of the lid to the CPU if you need will help hold it in place, yet it can still be removed to reTIM and whatever else.

Looking at selling my 6700K. I will most likely have to send it in the mail. It is delidded, and I didn't seal it back together for reasons unknown.

I might be selling the CPU without a MoBo.

I do have a plastic cpu clamshell for the LGA1151 socket CPUs. 

Could i just tape the CPU up with some clear tape, put it in the clamshell and then in the usual packaging (bubblewrap, ESD bag) and call it a day?

Or is that too risky?

Tips appreciated!

Edited by alexander.o
i can't spell

Pad it up well, make sure the clamshell itself is closed and sealed and you should be set. You could run a strip or two of tape around the entire clamshell with the tape sticking back onto itself, that definitely works.

As for the CPU and it's lid, once you close the clamshell it shoudn't move around if you have it closed tightly but a spot of silicone at each corner of the lid to the CPU if you need will help hold it in place, yet it can still be removed to reTIM and whatever else.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

53 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Good idea. 

I'll try to partially reseal it then. Thanks!